Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Itsabtme
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Itsabtme Send a message via Yahoo to Itsabtme
Ear Piercing for Infants
DH & I just returned from Grocery Shopping at WalMart...DH was unloading the cart and putting things on the conveyor while I stood there and watched...(normally I would help, but my foot hurts)...anyway he looks at me and says "looks like somebody needs a nap"...I look up and say "who Me?" he said, "No, that baby, can't you hear her screaming?" I turned around and we were near the jewelry counter. I said "No, that baby just doesn't want holes in her ears!" Honestly, I am so used to children screaming at WalMart that I had just blocked it out....I usually want to scream while I'm there too! But, she was angry and I don't blame her. I just don't think that it is right to do that. Granted, she is so young that she'll probably never remember the trauma, but still. Maybe I'm just old school...I didn't have my first set done until I was 12 and then I got them done again when I was 21.

I thought it was cute for a long time, but now, after watching.....not so much. Now I think that the child should be given the choice which means waiting at least until they can TALK.

OTN: Palindrome scarf for Mom
My practice scarf that I'll finish...eh...someday
Itsabtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I agree! I think that one should be allowed to make their own decision about getting holes in their ears. I got mine done when I was 7 and although I loved having them, they kept getting infected and I was very sensitve to metal, so I could only wear gold earrings. I wanted to wear fun earrings, but no such luck. Also, back then you used alcohol to sterilize your earrings, apparently they don't do that anymore. Eventually they grew in because my ears hurt all the time. I got mine done again when I was about 20. Even at 20 it hurt...I'll admit it. I'm lucky now because I've grown out of my sensitivity to metal, but I'm still careful about what earrings I wear. Since babies can't make the decision to get holes in their ears, it's up to the parents, who ultimately don't have to suffer infected piercings.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitgal View Post
they kept getting infected and I was very sensitve to metal, so I could only wear gold earrings.
I have mixed feelings on this topic, so I won't comment.
But I thought it might be helpful to point out to those that currently suffer or have suffered from pain and/or infections with their piercings, you may have an allergy or sensitivity to nickel...I do. Most of the time, if I wear nickel-free earrings, I'm okay (but even now sometimes, I'll get a pair that bug me--even some gold earrings bother me). My older daughter also has a nickel sensitivity so she wears the nickel-free earrings, and although I don't know if my younger daughter has the sensitivity or not, I bought her nickel-free ones anyway just to be safe.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
scout52
Working the Gusset

not to get off topic but cookwork you're a twin? i'm a twin. are you identical? or fraternal? everyone always considered me the mean twin.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Hi Scout! Not trying to hijack this post, but just to answer Scout's question. Yes, I'm a twin--identical. Three minutes apart; I'm the younger twin. Being the "younger" twin now that we're adults has better bragging rights than being the "older" twin! (hee hee hee) My sister was always the complacent, "non-dominant" twin that went along with everything; in fact, she was always too nice, and got walked on a lot through life. We're kind of on an even keel personality-wise these days so I guess maybe I'm no longer "the mean twin"?

What about you? Are you identical?

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
iza
Turning the Heel

I had my ears pierced when I was an infant. I grew up without any serious issues and I don't hate my mom. Honestly I'm glad I had it done back then.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
rosefields
Knitting the Flap

In my culture (Mexican), our babies have thier ears pierced as infants. But I do believe it is personal choice to be made by the parent(s).
rosefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
It IS a very strong cultural thing, but jeez--take them to the doctor to have it done--not freakin' Walmart!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Jen17 (11-07-2007)
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I agree! I had my daughter's ears done when she was three months old, BY A DOCTOR!!! I had my granddaughter's ears done when she was three months old, AGAIN BY A DOCTOR. Now both can wear clip ons or pierced earrings whenever they chose to. It is a personal choice, but it looks so cute on the little girls to have pretty earrings, dainty ones. I never put cheap earrings in their ears. Both have had no problems. Walmart, geez!!!!!!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Itsabtme
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Itsabtme Send a message via Yahoo to Itsabtme
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
It IS a very strong cultural thing, but jeez--take them to the doctor to have it done--not freakin' Walmart!!
Thank You! THAT I would agree with. I do understand that it is done in some cultures. I was afraid to post this, because it is quite controversial, I just felt so badly for that baby. She couldn't have been 6 months old and then to see her poor little angry red cheeks when she and her mother were leaving, just broke my heart.

OTN: Palindrome scarf for Mom
My practice scarf that I'll finish...eh...someday
Itsabtme is offline   Reply With Quote