Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
*Silmiriel*
Casting On

I need help w/loose side stitches on heel flap...
HELP!

I'm new to knitting but am ready to progress to more challenging projects. I'm working on the "Knitting at KNoon - Family of Slippers" free felted slipper sock pattern. Everything is going great except the heel flap. My slipped side stitches on the knit side are nice and tight but on the purl side, I have large, loose slipped stitches on the side of the heel flap (where you would be picking up the gusset stitches).

The result is when I go to pick up stitches for the gusset on the edge of purl side, it looks loose and sloppy, unlike the nice, neat knit side.

What could I be doing wrong on the purl side of the heel flap? I work really hard to keep even tension, but this is my second sock and it happens consistently. These socks are going to be felted, so the loose stitches won't matter too much in the end on this project, but I want to make some pretty socks with some Lorna's Laces yarn I have, and I would really like to know how to fix this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this! I really love this site - I was able to teach myself how to knit very quickly thanks to the wonderful video clips!

Mary
*Silmiriel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I'm really not quite sure what you mean by the purl side. Is it the side that is usually #3 needle in sock patterns? At any rate, you could try knitting them through the back loop to tighten them up.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
*Silmiriel*
Casting On

Hi Jeremy!

Thanks for your reply!

What I mean by the purl side is if you are looking at the heel flap with the purl side facing you, the slip stitches on the right edge are much looser than on the right (knit) side of the heel flap. Does that make sense?

So, when I go to pick up the stitches on that side of the heel flap to start knitting the gusset, the seam is loose and sloppy because of the loose slipped stitches.

I'm not sure if all sock patterns are this way, but this particular pattern is written so that you slip the first stitch of every row on the heel flap. When I slip the first stitch knitwise when working the knit side of the heel flap, the side slip stitch is tight and even. When I slip the first stitch purlwise on the purl side of the heel flap, that first slipped stitch is very loose.

I don't know if this means that my purl stitches in general are looser and it's just showing up in this pattern, or if I'm doing something else wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mary
Old 11-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I consider myself an experienced knitter and I have a terrible problem with this when knitting flat no matter what I do, so it is not because you are doing anything wrong! Have you tried pulling that stitch very tight?
One of the things that I think causes it is that when you get to the end of a row with only 1 or 2 stitches on the left needle, and the stitches on the left needle get stressed (by the knitting hanging down, or by pulling on the right needle), the stitches on the left needle getstressed and the slack gets pulled into them. See if avoiding this helps?

Also, knitting those loose stitches through the back loop (twisting them) will close them up a lot.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
*Silmiriel*
Casting On

Thank you, RedWitch!

I really tried to pull those edge stitches tight, but there was already loose yarn there, so it didn't make much of a difference.

It may be that the stitches are getting stretched on the circular needles. I am using the smallest size, 16", but I will try to make sure that the stitches don't get pulled and see if that helps.

I'll try knitting through the back loop as well.

Thanks for the advice... it's really frustrating when everything else about the socks has turned out perfect... I really want those side slip stitches perfect too!

Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it!

Mary