Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
2008 Year of the Stash! Retiring on Dec 31!
Hi y'all!

The New Year is fast approaching! Are you ready?

Our 2007 Year of the Stash thread was very well received! The support helped many of us decrease the size of our Yarn Stash! It kept us "stash-minded", didn't it?!

I did good at reducing the amount of beautiful yarn languishing in my YARN JAIL this past year! For those of you who might be wondering, "Huh? What is yarn jail???"

Yarn Jail looks different in every knitter's home. In mine, yarn jail is bags, baskets, bins, trunks and closets! Regardless of what the jail cells look like, the outcome is the same: the yarn is not being used, it is locked up in the dark...and doesn't think it has any hope of getting out any time soon! Parole denied!

Does anyone want to join me in 2008 for another auspicious Year of the Stash?
If so, join me on the Stash Train! Post a reply here, and if you want to, post Your Goal! We are in this together! There are no rules. Just try to use your Stash as best as you can! Haul it out, organize it, add up your yardage, feel it, think about it, and get excited about it again! It doesn't matter if your Stash is small or great. If you want to do something about it, you are in the right place at the right time! ( If you are reading this and it is already June, don't worry...the Stash Train makes regular stops for New Stashies! Hop aboard!)

This is my personal GOAL (I think it is realistic for me):
For every Stash Yarn project that I complete...I can buy new yarn for a Reward Project. But, I promise to use the New Yarn Reward within 30 days. I will not "stash" the New Yarn! Otherwise, it amounts to one step forward, one step backwards. My Stash Yarn Totals won't diminish! I want to DECREASE the size of my Stash during 2008! So, I won't stash new yarn purchases. If I buys it, I knits it!

Then I move on to another Stash Project. The skein/hank totals don't matter to me. If a Stash Yarn project uses up just 3 skeins, my New Yarn Reward could be for a sweater that requires 15 skeins! I won't think in terms of skein for skein, hank for hank. I will concentrate on "batches" of yarn that I purchased for some reason or another long ago!

At this point in time, my stash could be described as S.A.B.L.E.
(Stash Acquistion Beyond Life Expectancy) That is not a brag...that is a true confession from a serial yarnaholic.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 12-02-2008 at 11:22 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Dreaming Knitter (12-13-2007), erikalee (01-07-2008), Leafyberry (11-18-2008)
Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
AngMac
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to AngMac
I am in! I seriously need to get through my stash. I think mine can also be described as STABLE. I love picking up new yarn and always have a project in mind but I buy faster than I knit and I belong to way too many sock clubs. But, its so fun to get yarn in the mail.

My goal is to take inventory of what I have and make a list of a project or 2 to complete per month. I also need to destash and give away some yarns that I know I will never use. They deserve a good home.

AngMac on Ravelry

OTN:Manos Blanket, Scarf, Socks, Poinsettia Wreath and Koolhaas Hat.
Awaiting Finishing:Hedwig the Owl and a Hedgehog
FO:My So Called Scarf
Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
tropicallie
Ribbing the Cuff

My stash is rather paltry compared to most as we full-time in our RV so space is really limited. I try to contain my stash to 50 skeins but I have managed to squirrel away close to 100 skeins despite telling myself not to buy more until it's under control. I recently completed two sweaters for DH which took care of about 30 skeins. So my goal is to complete three of the four remaining sweaters before buying more yarn AND to strictly adhere to my 50 skein rule in 2008.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
robynbird
Turning the Heel

I'm in! I went on a buying spree the last few months and now I need to de-stash! i want to finish projects and empty drawers before buying more.

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i am in, but i guess my goal is to complete more than i buy. I always buy with a specific project or idea in mind though, it's just the speed at which i knit is much slower than the speed at which i find projects i want to knit

I am hoping for a set of Options for this christmas, since a big problem i have is a limited set of needles in the middle sizes (I have to have multiple WIPs or i completly lose interest in whatever i am knitting) so i am only currently able to have a couple of socks and one worsted weight at gauge project at a time. lace is out, what with my dd running around needing lots of attention still large gauge/felting projects are also limited to just one at a time.

Fingers crossed i will stick to my goal and reduce my stash this coming year. Also, i have found ravelry to be such a help at actually SEEING what i have in my stash (and finding perfect project too)

Thanks Artlady (again)
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Ang, Tropicallie, Robynbird, and Jeanius!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train!

Thanks for sharing your Year of the Stash goals with us! I think your goal is very reasonable, Tropicallie! The 50 skein maximum is a good goal!

Jeanius, that is also a good goal you have...to use up more than you buy up! I do the same thing you do: my mind is racing all over the place, thinking about new yarn and this and that while I am in the midst of knitting something else! Sigh. Like tonight, I could hardly wait to get my 3rd bed jacket (pink) onto the blocking board cuz I am itchin' to cast on for my daughter's Central Park Hoodie! I swatched for it today, and then washed and rinsed it and blocked it. Then I had to force myself to go in and finish the dern bed jacket!

Robynbird, I think your goal is very do-able. Just finish up some projects and get some drawers emptied! I know you can do it, too! You will feel so good about movin' that yarn onto better things!

Well, I am off to cast on for my daughter's CPH! YEAH! It is a real easy knit, but aren't some of the simplest patterns just the cutest ones!?? My daughter loves the model sweater. I bought her the same yarn, too...that leafy green Tahki Donegal Tweed. It is hard to find green tweeds. The Tahki Donegal Tweed is real scratchy (ack) and chemically smelling...but the wash/rinse/and final rinse with hair conditioner added to the water really softened up the swatch and removed all hint of the dye smell.

Well, I am waaay off topic! My bad! Sorry. Don't mean to hijack my own thread!

Knit on, good women!! Knit on, good men!!

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (11-20-2007)
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #7
msmelody
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to msmelody
I am in. I have yarn on the way, and need to buy yarn for my DH's scarf and then I need to get rid of most of my stash. All of my yarn have projects in mind, but just need the energy to get them done.

I am msmelody on Ravelry.

Water4gas is my new pursuit.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I'm in. I don't think my stash is as big as some, but there's plenty in there, and my dh finally said, when I brought home one tiny skein for my dd to make some Christmas ornaments, "You're not going to buy any more yarn any time soon, are you?" Since he's been so good, and hasn't said a word before now, I feel I should really make an effort to use up what I have...and it's a lot more than I thought, now that I see it on Ravelry (and that's not complete quite yet).

Anyway, I bought a bunch of skeins to work on some sort of afghan with my dd. We were thinking some sort of mitered square thing, but I'm thinking that my couple of test squares were misshapen,and it might not be as much fun as I thought. Any suggestions for a shared project????

And there's a small batch of stuff I bought on sale without any project in mind, so I need to get cracking on that, too! Just as soon as Christmas is over.

So, my goals are to do the afghan or throw with dd, and to use up at least a couple of projects' worth of yarn before buying more...so dh can better understand the concepts! (He gets buying yarn for a project; he doesn't get buying yarn to keep in the closet!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
yarnfreak
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to yarnfreak
I'll join in. I don't have a monster stash, but it's enough to make me feel guilty when I look at it. DH is deploying soon, so I'll have a ton of time to kill. Then I can buy new yarn, um, look at, um, yeah. LOL
Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #10
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Count me in, but I'm going to cheat. After the first of January, ALL my stashed yarn except for one color way that will be a spring sweater is going to charity. People where I used to work will be making squares for Warm Up America, a good cause.

I'll need help to not want to fill up the void!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Closed Thread