Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Ravelry
I guess I will need to take my time to really explore Ravelry, but after finally getting my invitation today.... I am not that excited after taking a brief look of it. It has not been love at first sight... Maybe I will need to spend time there and learning not only how to use it but how it can suit my knitter's needs....I don't know what exactly I was expecting.... Maybe I am so in love with KH that other similar sites don't seem that atractive anymore

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

well maybe it's because you only took a breif look at it...
but I guess that's a good thing too, KH rocks
Old 11-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
starburst
Knitting the Flap

well, there's 6700+ people ahead of me in line, so I should be in in a week haha
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
bip
Turning the Heel

If KH and Ravelry seem similar to you, keep looking! I would say the areas of overlap are very few. Have you looked through all the amazing FOs yet? Looked to see what others are doing with a yarn you have? (and maybe haven't selected a pattern for). Looked to see what problems others have had with patterns you are working on? Entered all your projects and planned projects? When I did this, I was shocked to learn I had *7* UFOs floating around. I was only aware of 3 that I was actively working on. Having them right there in black and white (since I don't take photos of WIPs), motivates me to finish so I can have that nice, shiny color picture to show off.

The queue feature helps me prioritize projects so that I don't start working on one thing, then realized I'd rather be working on a different project (well, as much as possible - I am still a bit impulsive!) And the favorites feature helps me keep track of things I love and want to remember for the future, but maybe don't want to make that exact project (like if I want to remember a unique neckline or colorscheme or that sort of thing). The stash feature helps me remember that I DON'T need more yarn, but also helps me justify new yarn purchases because I can be sure I didn't already have anything in that gauge/color/fiber.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Krystal
Turning the Heel

I have been on for a while, and I admit I am not OMG RAVELRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it is still a good resource, especially when it comes to patterns/yarns.

You can see pictures of a pattern you like, and see other peoples projects. Like how a sweater looks on real people. You can also see all the different yarns used for that pattern. It beats scouring google to find only a few references to what you are looking for.

I am not a terrbly social person so the rest of it is kinda lost on me. I check it out maybe once or twice a week, usually if I am looking for a pattern.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I agree with Krystal. It's a good resource, but I'm not obsessed with it at all. I love to look up alternate yarns, and who made the same project as me, but I still love KH for the close knit (pun INTENDED!) community feeling.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
efooey
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Skype™ to efooey
I'm desperately in love with ravelry. When it comes to asking questions and stuff I def. use the the forums here, but you can't beat the info on rav.

The access to patterns is amazing, being able to see what colors people have done and what yarns they have used. Then if you run into issues you can find someone who has done it and ask that person. It's also nice to have friends and look through their queue or FO's to see what they are up to!

I'm MRSEFP if you want to add me as a friend!
E
efooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Look up a pattern that you are interested in and see what yarn other people have used, how it looks in different colors, etc. If you have yarn that you don't know what it wants to be look up the yarn and see what others have made with it.

I used it mostly as a resource. It's the first place I go to look up patterns or find something to with a yarn I have, etc. I bought some Encore DK the other day to make fingerless mittens, but didn't have a pattern specifically. I typed in DK and then found patterns that had been made with that weight yarn and I found several that worked! All in one place!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
bip
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
I am not a terrbly social person so the rest of it is kinda lost on me. I check it out maybe once or twice a week, usually if I am looking for a pattern.
Lol, I know what you mean. Even my mom asked me what the "friends" feature was for. I was like, "I have no idea!" She said she noticed I have a lot of friends and she was wondering how I got them. I explained that most are from KH

When Ravelry is more open, it might be a more fun place to chat, but for now it's kind of like a big empty room. This is more like the corner coffee shop.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote