Old 11-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
snpdiva
Casting On

ribbed scarf--help?
I am trying to make a simple ribbed scarf from a pattern found in a beginner's knitting kit. The instructions call for bulky yarn and 10 1/2 size needles; cast on 33 stitches and work in K3-P3 ribbing. I've started and unravelled about four times, but it just looks all weird and awful. To make the ribbing, I'm supposed to alternate K3/P3 with P3/K3 on the back side, right? The ribbing still doesn't look right...
I'm using a Lion Brand Suede yarn that is marked "bulky" with a number 5, and the 10 1/2 size needles.
Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Nicole
snpdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Is there any way you could post a picture? It sounds like you understand the instructions so a picture might help us be able to see what might be going wrong.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Hiya Diva n welcome to the party!!!
One little rulette (not really a gospel thing though) for knitting any combo of rib st. Is the ol' k the k and p the p as the piece is facing you (don't worry bout p the k or reversing anything) Hope that helps ya hun!!

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That should work out, since you have an uneven number (divisible by 3, but not 6) your 1st row ends with a k3, so you will start the 2nd row with a p3. Remember, it takes more than 2 rows for a rib pattern to look like it's supposed to.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
That should work out, since you have an uneven number (divisible by 3, but not 6) your 1st row ends with a k3, so you will start the 2nd row with a p3. Remember, it takes more than 2 rows for a rib pattern to look like it's supposed to.
What? Really? I'm still knew and haven't done a whole lot of ribbing (I've only done it in the round), but if I read that, I would start EVERY row as K3/P3, just as the directions read. I still get so confused when it comes to anything other than K every row, haha.

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Her directions are correct: k3,p3 on row 1, p3, k3 on row 2. The rib pattern takes up 6 st. If you have a number that isn't divisible by 6, the row ends with k3. So to make a rib, the next row starts with a p3. It ends with p3 also, so you repeat the 1st row again and start with k3. There's only one st in knitting, one side is a knit, the other is a purl. So when you're doing ribbing you need work each st how it looks to you when you come to it. A lot of patterns read knit the knits and purl the purls as they face you; this is where knowing how to read your knitting comes in handy.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
snpdiva
Casting On

thanks everyone
Thanks to everyone who has replied...especially suzeeq and fibrenut...I think I was trying to reverse stitches and getting confused whether I started the row with knit or purl. I know it takes more than two rows; I had done five or six rows and my ribbing was not looking right.

Purl the purl stitches and knit the knit stitches, as the work is facing you. So I don't have to remember which row I'm on after the first two, I can just do whichever stitch I'm looking at on the previous row. I will give that a try and see if it turns out looking better.
snpdiva is offline   Reply With Quote