Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

"Don't purl between 2 needles" when knitting on dpns...why not?
I'm making my first sock (woohoo!) the pattern is Freya and I'm also following Silvers tut. The pattern itself only talks about 2 needles, maybe it was written for circs? In any case, I'm currently using 5 dpns (actually, I'm also using the 6th one instead of a cable needle, but anyway) so I have 60 stitches divided evenly between 4 needles, 15 sts on each needle. The pattern starts with a purl, so in 2 different joins, I'm purling at the end, and the beginning of the join. However nowhere am I doing a knit and a purl across the join. So, am I going to end up with ladders later, even if I don't see them now? What exactly about purling across a join can go wrong? I'm almost done with the leg ( ) but of course I only think of asking this now.

Here is a pic, with my hand inside stretching it quite a bit. Without knowing, can you tell which purls were at the join, and which were not? Is there something I need to know? TIA!

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Kime
1st Leg of the Journey

In my experience if you pull a little tighter at the join then it doesn't matter. Your sock looks fine to me.
Kime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kime For This Useful Post:
WildMountainHoney (11-28-2007)
Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

Cool, good to know. I am pulling until the working needle actually touches the last needle, and I think that's working.

In fact, the only place *I* see loose stitches, is the first knit stitches after the purls, but I'm hoping that is only because I was stretching it.......it'll all even out in the wash, right?

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
It looks fine to me!

I've never seen that written, but sometimes going from a knit to a purl is looser and going across a join would make it more so. You seem to have mastered it fine though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I've never heard that about not purling between needles! But I can imagine that it's about having a little bit of looseness come up, which is easily resolved by Kime's suggestion about just pulling a little tighter between needles. And by the way, actually, it's a good idea to do that even if you are doing a knit stitch between needles-- again, to prevent any looseness. And your sock looks great!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

The pattern writer does mention using 2 circs at the beginning of the pattern, although obviously one could use DPNs as you did or ML.

And, echoing the previous posters, you can just give a little extra tug on that first st to tighten it up - I usually tug the second one, too. If you do find that you're forming ladders at some point, you can always rearrange your st so you have 2 knits together, although as Jan says the looseness for most is going between a knit and a purl.

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." -- Ernest Menaul
krazy4kats is offline   Reply With Quote