Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
astonh
Turning the Heel

Crochet CO - Picking Up Knitting Stitches
So I'm finally doing it! I'm venturing into the world of sock knitting...or at least trying.

I'm knitting Rainy Day Socks. I've learned how to crochet a chain and have done so for the provisional crochet CO for these socks. NOW, my FIRST question... (nope, I didn't get very far before I needed to bug you guys)

Pattern tells me "Starting at the cast-off edge of the chain and using main yarn, pick up 48 stitches through the backs of crochet loops" and another thing I saw on picking up stitches using this CO says to "insert your knitting needle tip into the first bump." Those said, my question is WHICH bump constitutes my "first" bump. When I cast-off this provisional chain I pulled the end yarn through the loop that was on my crochet needle, thereby creating a bump. Is THIS my FIRST bump that I pick up or the one AFTER where I pulled my yarn through?

Is everyone confused as I am now? LOL... thanks.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think you're generally supposed to make a few more chains than stitches you need. So suppose you chained 50, you could start in the next to last bump (that you pulled the end through).

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
astonh
Turning the Heel

Yes, I only need to pick up 48 stitches and pattern told me to crochet co at least 52 so I did 56. Okay, then.... HERE WE GOOOOOO!!!!

Oh, and THANK YOU!!!

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
astonh
Turning the Heel

OHG! I'm so excited... I'm only 7 picked up stitches into this but it is already looking like the picture! I was so thrilled, I just had to say YIPPEE!

I'll be back when it comes time to pick up these stitches off the provisional CO, I'm sure. LOL

Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To take out the crochet caston, you just pick out the end that you pulled through the last loop and zip it off. You may need to have a needle in the stitches though to graft the toe together.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
astonh
Turning the Heel

Thanks! This is the first time I've knit on such tiny needles in the round, so I'm going slow...but stitch by stitch I'll get there...