Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

question about instructions for a sweater
This is a pullover sweater which starts from the neck down. Cast on 42sts. It reads like this k to within one st of each marker - there are 5 markers which I did knit. Repeat these last two rounds until there's 42sts between the back markers.
What do they mean by this, do I keep knitting and increasing until 42sts are for the back of the neck? It doesn't say how many or total sts should be on the needles.

Hope I explained it okay.
Thank you for your help!
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Do you have a link to the pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

It's a pattern I picked up and it's called 'Knitting Pure & Simple' #224. Would it help if I typed the paragraphs that lead to my question directly from the pattern?
I pulled up the picture of the sweater under womens pullover but no pattern.
Thank you for responding!
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'm working on a "Knitting Pure and Simple" Pattern right now, #244. The stitches they want you to count are the stitches that will make up the back. On my sweater, I'll stop doing increases when there are 110 stitches inbetween the two markers.

It was confusing to me at first, not knowing how many stitches were supposed to be on the needles for the whole row, but I just go back to what Ingrid says, "Trust the pattern!"

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
BTW, Monk's Cord is the same as an I-cord, according to several sources on Google. Amy has a video demo here showing how to do that.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote