Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Kahobrien
Casting On

fixing inside out in-the-round knitting
I am knitting mini-newborn thumbless mittens on size 2 double-pointed needles. It is my first DPN project and the first 8 rows are 1x1 ribbing, followed by stockinette.

I put the work down after casting on (for the millionth time) and after ribbing the first few rows realized that it's inside out. The ribbing is messy facing me but inside is nice and neat. I don't have a problem with it because I can just turn the work right-side out when I'm done, but my question is how to knit stockinette inside out once I get to that part.

Do I have to knit the stockinette differently so that it ends up "correct" on the other side, or can I just do regular stockinette on the WS and it will show up fine on the RS? I could just experiment and see what works and doesn't work, but then I'd have to pull it all out if I get it wrong and I'd rather not have to do that with such small stitches!

Thanks!
Kahobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When your stockinette is inside out in the round, it's only because you're knitting with the wrong two needles. You're using the needles farthest away from you rather than the needles closest to you.

So you're still knitting every round the way your normally would, just on the inside of the tube rather than the outside.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Kahobrien
Casting On

So is it possible to be knitting with the needles closest to me (which I am) but have the ribbing come out on the wrong side?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Ribbing is the same on both sides, really. Are you knitting every round for the part past the ribbing? If you are, then I'm afraid I don't understand why it's looking inside out.

Can you post a picture?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think you might have picked it up and started going the wrong direction. Check to see you don't have a bit of a hole somewhere.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Kahobrien
Casting On

Yes! I think I am going the wrong direction! Let's say I'm looking DOWN from a birds' eye view at the little tube of ribbing I've got. My needles are closest to me and the rows are toward the floor. The way I've got it, the yarn from the ball is coming off the needle from the RIGHT, and my knitting is going CLOCKWISE. This is the wrong direction, isn't it.

If so, do I have to rip this out and start over, or can I cheat my way through the pattern?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Kahobrien
Casting On

So how does one go about going the wrong direction? How does one go the right direction? I've never run into this problem before, so maybe it's just been a fluke for me so far.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Kahobrien
Casting On

I know that ribbing is SUPPOSED to be the same both ways, that's why I can't figure out why it's so darn ugly on the side I'm looking at but nice and neat inside. Maybe I'm just in a funky knitting mood.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
knit2btied
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to knit2btied
You could do a reverse stockinette. (It's in the glossary section) http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary Down the page till the R's.

Didn't see Ingrids post. I'd trust hers before mine! (big smile)

knit2btied is offline   Reply With Quote