Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Danna
Casting On

Loose purl stitches?
I am knitting a simple hat, and I am very new to knitting. I have been practicing, and haven't had this problem in all of my practice pieces.

I am using size 9 needles with worsted weight yarn.
My knit stitches are perfect, but my purl stitches are very loose. I am pulling tight after each stitch, but they loosen up after I let go.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong, but who knows. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong?
Danna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quite a few people purl looser than they knit. You could try using a size 8 needle for the purl row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Danna
Casting On

Thanks everyone for all your insight. I guess I will just keep practicing and hopefully my stitches will become tighter.
Danna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

I purl looser than I knit, but it's slightly looser. It doesn't give me holes or anything, and I keep to my gauge, so I don't bother 'fixing'. My aunt, on the other hand, is REALLY loose, and she fixes it with a smaller needle for the purl rows.

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I am very new to knitting so please take this with a grain (truck load) of salt and those that thave a great deal of experience can tell me why this is wrong.

I am knitting kilt hose using two circular needles. My purls were always loose and there were ladders every time I went from knit to purl. One time, I think by mistake, I did an underhand "purl" and no more ladders and if anything the "purl" was tighter than the knit. I do an underhand "purl" (my name, I don't know the proper name) by bringing the yarn to the front, go into the next stitch in front, from right to left and then pass the yarn under the right needle (in stead of over the needle) and pull the stitch through.
This stitch looks like to a purl to me and pull the stitches together like a purl stitch. Ribbing look like and acts like a normal purl stitch.

As a newbie to knitting I pass this along as much to get comments from those with more experience and to offer help.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by cacunn : 03-03-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, that's wrapping the yarn the opposite direction and it can be tighter. That's how it's done in combination knitting (see www.anniemodesitt.com ) On the knit side though you need to knit those stitches through the back loop or they'll be twisted. Or you can just leave them twisted.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
suzeeq
Thanks for the information and the web site. Since all I have knitted have been socks in the round the only thing twisted is the knitter.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote