Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Silver
Instepping Out

Sunblocking swimwear?
So we're starting to see swimwear in stores and this morning on the news they were talking about these new "sunblocking" swimwear pieces and clothing. They claim that they block UV rays so you don't get burned.

Um... ok. Tell me, have you EVER gotten a sunburn UNDER your clothes? Doesn't a plain ol' tee shirt block UV rays too?I've spent many many hours in the hot Florida sun and I swear, I've never ever, even once gotten burned under my clothes.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I just tried to google around for some info...I'm not sure how it works...I have never gotten burned either or even a tan through my shirt or clothes...I wonder if it reflects it in a way that it protects the arms, face, legs? The suits I seen cover from the neck down to the knees and elbows...some sites I read suggest that with this you don't have to worry about re-applying the sunblock...or on babies ...I think I would still have to lather my kids up cause I wonder how well it works...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I have a sunblocking t-shirt for when we go jet skiing. It's great. Regular t-shirts when they get wet will let the sun burn you. I've had skin cancer on/off since 1992 so I have to be careful. I am seeing alot of parents making their kids wear the clothing at the beach, etc. They have shorts, t-shirts and long underwear type stuff for surfers, etc. They have the feel of Under Armour but lighter. They dry quick and the kids don't seem to mind them.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I remember in the 80's they were selling swimsuits that you could wear and still get tan underneath the suit. I guess that's who they have invented the sun-block suits for.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Originally Posted by cdjack View Post
I remember in the 80's they were selling swimsuits that you could wear and still get tan underneath the suit. I guess that's who they have invented the sun-block suits for.

Funny that is what I was going to say that we had those type of bathing suits, never bought one by then I had kids. You did not want to see that.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
A better question is have you ever gotten burned UNDER your swimsuit?! I can honestly say NO! And I'd bet if you talked to a dermatologist that when people get most skin cancer it's not in the swimsuit covered areas. Just another gimmick to sell I guess.

As for getting burned through clothing.. it IS possible. I've burned through a light cotton blouse. I've read that the average light colored T shirt is only SPF 6 or 7, but I imagine only very sun sensitive people would burn through them even at that. The thickness is what helps protect I think.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote