Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
wholycow
Ribbing the Cuff

Expensive (quality)yarn-v-cheaper yarn?
Hi,...sorta newbie here..I've fallen pretty hard for some fabulous yarns at yarn shops,and have ended up paying quite alot to make a scarf/or hat. I love the yarn shop yarn,it's just gorgeous.... But, I'm not rich either,and not a super knitter yet, and may never be...but I do it for the peace,and calm of it..and to end up with something beautiful,even with all the imperfections I later find in it...Guess I want to know if you all think it's worth the extra expense,or do you still get your thrills out of yarn from a craft store. Not trying to suggest that I'm a yarn snob or anything like that..I've met some in person,that sort of frounded on some Lion Brand that I wanted to use...and still have. Appreciate your feedback. (really like you all..and glad I found you~)
wholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
twoxover
1st Leg of the Journey

hiya-
i'm also a very new knitter, and like you....i've learned a deep dark secret about myself....

i'm a yarn ho'. I love the different fibers..and yes, i LOVE the expensive ones. as someone who quilts, and did years of needlework...this is the balance i have struck with myself....

i try to patronize the local shops-if we don't, they won't be there. however, i'm also not adverse to internet shopping and ebay shopping. sometimes there are really great deals out there.....but again, i try to spend however little i have, i include the local shops as well. they offer help and encouragement, and so, it's an obligation on my part to share some of my $$ with them.
twoxover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've fallen for beautiful yarn, too. When I first got back into knitting, I thought that I'd be fine working with what I could find in the craft stores.

Then I discovered the good stuff and all hope was lost. If I'm going to spend lots of time on something, I'm going to enjoy every stitch of it. Loving the yarn I'm knitting with is a huge part of my personal enjoyment of knitting.

My pocketbook wishes I was less selfish when it comes to yarn, but what the heck--you only live once, right?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (04-01-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
You should always work with what you love and can afford. If craft store yarn works for you then use it. If you want something more expensive then use it. Clearly don't go broke to knit but knit with what makes you happy. And watch for sales. Some stores have REALLY great sales and someone almost always posts about them here. I have gotten some really awesome stuff for half price or less in some of these sales. Makes it even more delightful to knit with it, i think.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

Yep, I right here with you all! I've been knitting with some really nice silk and wool blends lately and get super frustrated when something I've made from acrylic pills on me in the washer. It costs more but well worth it considering you want your work to be around for a long time. I love cottons and those are always inexpensive. Silk and Wool are I haven't tried the alpacas or angoras or bamboos yet, but working on it! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The thing is, higher priced yarn doesn't necessarily mean a better quality. I've heard from knitters that bought nicer and expensive brands and were disappointed that it didn't wear well or pilled badly. The same can be said for cheap yarns too, but maybe the disappointment isn't as much. I like any yarns and am happy with the middle of the road prices, whether I get them at a craft store or online. Though since I'm a price shopper, I usually get the cheaper ones and enjoy using them too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Becky Morgan (03-27-2008)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm also a beginning knitter, and something I've noticed is that even some yarns from the craft store can be expensive, and some yarns from a local store can be inexpensive. And you can get nice quality yarns of different fibers (wool, alpaca, cotton) for fairly inexpensive from a Jo-Anns or Michaels.

(And I've used a few Lion Brand yarns and have nothing but praise for them!)

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

My knitting motto is "Life is too short to knit with icky yarn." If I don't love the yarn before I knit something up, I most likely won't love the FO and all the time I spent knitting is tied up in something I am not thrilled to wear.

Having said that, I have found "just the right yarn" everywhere from Wal*Mart to exclusive boutiques. I agree with twoxover that it is important to support local yarn stores that support our craft. But there are fine on-line sources of yarn who support our craft too- look at all those who advertise here or have their own forums.

Finally, I knit a good bit (and my two knitting daughters raid my stash), so I don't think I could support my habit if I had to pay boutique prices for everything I worked up.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I joined an online knitting group back at the dawn of the Net. They were raving, and I mean raving, about this certain brand of yarn, how wonderful it was, how worthless anything I made must be because I didn't use (name brand--I'm not going to here.) It was three or four times as expensive as anything I was using, so I waited until I had a special Christmas project, took part of the Christmas club many m,iles to a yarn shop, and bought some.
It was HORRIBLE.
I don't mean I didn't like the feel, or the colorways were bad. I mean it fell apart while I was using it. It was loaded with knots, bumps and fuzz (and it was supposed to be smooth), it pilled while I was using it (and it was wool) and the project never got done because the yarn crumbled to bits. When I reported back to the forum about the wonderful Blank Extra Premium Incredibly Super Fantastic Yarn, they said they knew it fell apart, was hard to work with and crumbled...but wasn't knitting itself the whole aim of the project, and weren't those items meant to be disposable?

The brand did make it up to me in part by sending me coupons and patterns I could use with their other projects (since I did NOT want more of that yarn!) and I buy their other projects. The whole experience taught me never to pay full price for anything I can't put my hands on. (No yarn petting allowed at that shop; no wonder.) If I can find a partial ball of an expensive product and try it, that's fine, if the shop owner will let me touch it and/or handle an item made with it, that's good. No touch, no deal.

Right now I have a whole bag of different Patons products I bought while Big Lots had them for $1.00 a ball. I've also been making a lot of stuff from Lion Landscapes and Watercolors, which set me back $1.50 each. (I found out Watercolors doesn't felt for much. Oh, well, my purse is just a tad bigger than I meant it to be:D)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep. There's this yarn that has very pretty long color changes that everyone raves about. So I snuck about the LYS to see and touch it. EWWWW! It's rough, much scratchier than RH Super saver, not something I want to work with at all. Everyone who loves it says it softens up nicely after washing, then in the next breath talk about picking out twigs and brambles and `stuff' from it. No way am I paying $8 for 100some yards for that experience! I'll stick to the cheapo acrylic thank you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote