Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
flyingfingers
Ribbing the Cuff

Ladies....Help Please!
I am 44 years old, and either going through Pre-Menopause or it may be just sever PMS, I don't know.
But....for 3 weeks of every month, I am totally not myself. I go into fits of rage, anxiety, depression and feel like the whole world is crashing down on me. My relationships suffer because I become a monster, and I can't take it any longer. This has been going on for years, and I am at my wits end.
I just want to be ME again, bubbly, happy, content and a great person to be around. I am only me for one week every month.
What can I do? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I am making an appointment with my doc this week to start.
Thanks
flyingfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

The doctor's appointment is the best idea. Talk to her/him in detail! And get some answers, if you're not satisfied or they don't seem to help, get another opinion. Mine was very uneventful except for hot flashes. Course, I did notice alot of rolled eye looks and shaking of heads whenever I'd raise my voice. LOL! I did take "Estroven" to help control the flashes....Black cohosh was the main ingredient that helped, I'm told. Whatever... "Estroven" is available over the counter. Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
flyingfingers (03-31-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I suffer from PMDD which sounds like you may too...I was only nice 1wk out of the month too and battled my emotions like crazy...talk to your dr and see what they can do...I'm on Yaz right now and it helps quite a bit...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

My goodness. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Hormones suck! I am not a doctor but getting in to see yours is a great start. I wish you all the best and I hope you feel better very soon.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
find this book
"determining your menopause type"
It is a great book, it helped me understand what I was missing in my hormone vacant life
I am on Progesterone 10-12 days a month, and I M sleeping much better, my skin is better, but my moodyness is still out of whack.

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I also suffered in my early 40's. I went on low estrogen birth control for several years until I lost my health insurance. The symptoms went away for about 5 years and then came back with a vengeance. Hot flashes and weepiness and the worst was lack of sleep. Once I had finished cycling for 6 months I was prescribed progesterone and it is working wonders.
Work with your doctor to see what works for you, everyone is different.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Going to the Doctor is a really great idea. To assist the doctor in determining what the cause is, I'd suggest the following:

- start tracking you period start and end dates. This will help the doctor determine where in your cycle your issues are occuring.
- start tracking your food intake daily. We don't always realize how foods affect how body. You may be surprised to find that certain foods are causing a hormonal imbalance or that the hormonal imbalance is causing you to crave certain foods.

Your doctor is probably going to want to take blood samples at different points during your cycle to compare the hormone levels.

I'm sure the doctor will find the problem and will be able to help you find your way back to the person you want to be again.