Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
llamamomma
Casting On

Total Knitting Newbie....best way to get started?
Hi. My name is Wendy and I am from north central NC. I am looking to embark on the world of knitting and need your advice and direction.

What learning method would you recommend to someone who has never knitted and does not know anyone IRL (in real life) who knits? Would the Boye Kit be a good place to start? What type of yarn would be the best to start with?

Thanks in advance to your suggestions.
llamamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can just get a pair of needles, about size 9 or 10, and some inexpensive light colored yarn and follow along with the videos here. Or see what your library has for learn to knit books; some even have Teach yourself to Knit Visually, which is a book/cd combo.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
llamamomma (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Hi,

If you are totally new, videos are good for starts. Learning from a real person who you can ask questions of is better. This forum is good for the second, but... if you scroll down to Knitters Knear You, you'll find a good long thread of knitters from North Carolina.

Surely you could find a few near you and pm them. I'm certain they'd be more than willing to help you discover the Wonderful World of Knitting.

Here's a thought: I knit continental-style; it's much faster and more convenient (IMHO) than the right-hand-yarn-holding method most US knitters use. I'd seriously consider learning this way from the get-go.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
However, many people also knit with the right hand holding the yarn and find it faster and more convenient than continental style. It's a matter of preference as to which is more comfortable for you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Have you checked LYS (your Local Yarn Shop) to see if they have classes? Many around here have couches and comfy chairs in the shop for people to come in a sit and knit.

I will say I am fairly new to knitting and found the video here to be excellent. That plus all the helpful people on the forum you can't lose.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I started with the Boye kit and loved it. Using the videos here really helped- it was harder to understand in the book. The Boye kit gives you everything you need to start & do several more advanced things except the yarn!

I would suggest a varigated yarn to start with, it helped me see the stitches better and was exciting when I was just practicing stitches to get my tension even. "Oh look, there's purple! Oh look, there's lilac! Oh look, there's white!" Yes, I am this easily amused. Thank goodness.

Have fun and welcome to the adventure! This forum is wonderful for help!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Don't be afraid to mess up. You can just pull it all out and start over if you need to.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

I've only been knitting for about two months, so this newbieness you're experiencing is the same that I am. I had a friend teach me to purl, knit and cast on in one night (at a going away party). The rest I've learned through people here, their videos and books. Here's what I did:

1. Buy a pretty colored yarn, preferably worsted (it'll say that on the label).

2. Get a set of needles. I used size 10 for my first project (a scarf) and it really helped me see what I was doing. You could get straight or circular needles (needles that are attached to a clear wire). You can get any kind too, and I found out I like bamboo the best -- the yarn moves easier for me.

3. Check out the videos here on types of knitting styles and try all that you can. I started as an English knitter, went to Combination, then went to my own version of Continental until I finally settled on Continental (the way you're supposed to do it).

4. In regards to tension, don't worry about how you hold the yarn until later. Your stitches may not be perfect, but how you hold the yarn will come to you later. I went from not holding it, to loosely hooking my fingers around it, to finally wrapping the yarn around my pinky, the working yarn over my index finger.

5. Be prepared to rip out your work (or frog, as it's called) and don't be discouraged when you do. Everyone does it all the time and lord knows how many times I do it. >.<

For books, I love Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch. She writes as if she's sitting right next to you, showing you how to knit and there's lots of detailed pictures. It's a very in-depth book, with patterns, without making you want to poke your eye out. She also includes websites for knitting and how to get involved in groups.

Good luck to you! Hope you enjoy knitting!

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote