Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
newamy
Working the Gusset

New cats and some questions (pic added to post 15)
Over the weekend I went out looking for a new cat or cats. Yeah! I've been cat-less since February.

Anyway a co-workers son's cat had kittens and we looked at those. All of them are black and we are getting a girl. She will come home in 2 weeks. My former cats were de clawed but I would like to avoid that this time. I am going to try these http://www.softpaws.com/ Has anyone used them before??? According to the website they should fit as early as 4 months. One of our local pet stores sells them but not the kitten size.

I intend to keep this cat indoors and it has to learn to live with and not attack a 20 y/o parrot. My old cats did well with the bird and if a kitten grows up with a bird in its home it should be fine.

Meanwhile I saw an ad in the paper that someone wanted to find new homes for their adult cats. Both de-clawed, one in door only, both fixed. So I went to have a look. The qualifications sounded pretty good again because of our bird.The indoor/out door one I never saw, reportedly the two cats were not buddy-buddy so the owner did not mind separating them. They were parting with the cats because they have a Jack Russel terrier, not brand new but annoying and the cats counldn't walk across the room with the dog around. (I know there are dog lovers here, but I am not one of them. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the dog didn't get confined more or put out or have a kennel built or taken on more walks to give the cats some space. Nor can I figure out why they would favor the dog over the cats) The indoor only male was very timid of me and was also hiding from the dog. The female that goes out was out when I was there so never met her. If she goes out it seemed at least she gets away from the dog. The male is 4 years old and I decided to bring him home. I felt sorry for him having to put up with the dog. The owner seemed both concerned about her cat and anxious to part with him. So now I have Simon as they called him. He is very beautiful white and gray but very, very scared. He hid under our bed the first afternoon and night and did not leave the room yesterday, Sunday. I was very worried last night because he did not eat drink or pee for over 24 hours. But last night we put him in the bathroom, a smaller closed in space, and he finally used the litter box last night. I'm still not sure about the eating or drinking. He let me brush him yesterday and I got rid of some mats he had in his fir. He has long hair. I've read various articles on line about people adopting strays or other timid cats and it sounds as if the hiding can go on for a week or more. I can handle it if he rarely comes out but I really want him to eat and drink! The former owner reports that he is a real snuggly lap kitty which I liked the sound of, but evidently he will have to get used to his new home and us before I will see any of that. I had no idea he would have such a hard time adapting. I've had cats all my life and I have had cats that were scared, but usually their curiosity has helped them over come the fear. I cannot help but wonder if besides the dog this cat had some other traumas. He is very clean and healthy looking other than the matted hair and it wasn't a lot. No fleas, clean ears. Good teeth and bright eyes. He is a bit over weight but maybe an indoor cat cannot exercise much if it spends its time hiding from a dog. Has anyone else here dealt with a timid cat like this? What seemed to help?

I have already promised to take the new kitten, and my daughter is very excited about it. I hope the cat comes out of his shell a bit before the kitten arrives because I'm sure that will be a set back.

The odd thing is that today I realized that even if Simon needs special care, and I have to have a litter box in my bathroom, and he won't snuggle with me, I am so happy to have a cat in my house again!! I'm sure he will come around and be a nice quiet kitty soon.

I'm newamy on

Last edited by newamy : 05-06-2008 at 06:40 PM.
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Good for you for taking that kitty! I know that cats that are timid can take a bit longer to adjust to a new home but just give him some space. I would make sure he's got food and water (which you are doing) and just talk to him when you are in the same room. Trying to force him to come out will only freak him out. Once he sees he is safe there with you, he will come out and make friends, I am sure. And you know, little treats may help as well... good luck and thanks for rescuing Simon!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Catz
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Catz
I'm sure he'll be fine. Just give him time to settle in.

Different story to yours but an example anyway. I have 2 cats and I used to live in Darlington UK. I've moved in with my fiance who lives in Wallsend UK. About 30 miles away give or take. Anyway my cats aren't the timid type with me and when I moved with them they both went into hiding. I could see that they were eating and using the litter boxes but I didn't see them for about a week and a half.
They soon came out of hiding after that but if they got spooked by anything they were back into hiding.

Now you can't stop them from thumping about when playing.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
I agree, it's a matter of time. That's how they get comfy in their new home. I adpoted 2 cats from a rescue 3 years ago. First Nania and a month later, Sybil. Nania went under the bed as soon as I opened her kenel. But the first night she jumped on my bed to kneel (sp?) and purr (awwwww).... Sybil spent like 2 weeks under my bed getting out only when she thought it was save to sip some water, eat and use the liter box. She seemed very scared, much more than Nania. I used to go under the bed when she was hidding there and talk to her, let her smell my hand, touch her and even give her some toys. But never forced her to come out. I did it gently and for brief periods at a time... a few minutes or so, a couple of times a day. She slowly came out and spent more and more time around my apartment. Nowdays, both own the bed, the couch, the chairs, me.... everything LOL.... Good luck with your new kitties!!!!!!

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Glad to hear you have a new kitty around the house! My older cat was very timid, she came to us from the street and was very nervous. Later on we brought a dog and a young kitty and though she acted as if she was hurt, it actually brought her out of her shell - she's much more playful and brave now.
Please don't de-claw the young kitty - it's one of their only defenses. I clip my cats' claws. If you'll get her used to it early, she won't mind. I just pay attention not to clip on the part with blood vessels. you can also buy or make a special mat for the kitty to "do the nails".
Good luck!
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Spikey
Turning the Heel

What a wonderful thing you have done!!! That poor kitty was being tormented.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, especially letting him get comfortable in a smaller space first. Once he becomes more accustomed, he can expand his 'domain' in your home. Just do the best you can not to accidentally startle him, and visit with him in the bathroom often, so he does not feel that he is being punished by the lack of socialization. The fact that he let you brush him already is a great sign!

Good luck and kudos to you for providing two kitties with a loving, safe home.
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote