Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

places/times when it's best not to knit?
I have to remake 2 sleeves, since the 2nd one was coming out quite a bit tighter (& smaller). Just realized that most of it was worked on while waiting at a dental clinic, and this week since my dental surgery. (Surgeon actually commented that I was so relaxed I could knit before going in, I told him I was trying to stay calm. Obviously I was wrong.)

What places have you discovered not conducive to good knitting?
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.

But as a general rule--I think you can knit pretty much anywhere so long as you are aware of your surroundings and your company. If it becomes clear that you are bothering others, put the needles away. I have, for example, knitted away in a dentist office waiting room too. And there were TWO other women doing the same!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I usually knit in waiting rooms, guess it depends how apprehensive one feels about what's about to happen?!

How rude of those girls during that play.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Originally Posted by gotta knit View Post
How rude of those girls during that play.
I know, it kind of blew my mind. I give them the benefit of the doubt though--I truly think they were just completely clueless instead of being intentionally rude. Some people forget there's an entire world around.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by HamaLee View Post
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.
Ok...having worked in a theatre for 10 years...I must say...that is horrible...especially in the front row.

I mean...if it were plastic needles...at the back...maybe but really...why are you even at the theatre if you are not going to take it in. I can knit in front of the TV, but theatre is an all senses experience...and selling tix for a living...they aren't cheap....

That really disgusts me!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!

Last edited by Crycket : 05-07-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I am an idiot
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Kind of two questions going in this thread....one is where is inappropriate and the other is where it might be difficult to knit effectively. I think you're really asking about the second one, right?

I think each situation is different for each person -

I personally don't knit in restaurants because if I'm going out to a meal with someone I feel like I should completely there not looking down or only half paying attention. I do knit during waiting times at doctors offices because no one needs my attention. So basically..if something requires your attention such as a play then it's not appropriate.

As to the other part of the question.. I can't really knit a car (motion sickness aside) because I find it too distracting with all the visuals flying by the window. Some types of projects are hard to knit when you're stressed out, too. I would stick to simple projects for stressful situations.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Kind of two questions going in this thread....one is where is inappropriate and the other is where it might be difficult to knit effectively. I think you're really asking about the second one, right?
Yes Jan, thanks for clarifying. I think I was referring more to places that interfere with our effective knitting. Maybe my bottle of painkillers should have included a 'no posting' warning?

I would like to think most of us have enough decency to not knit in situations demanding respect for others, and where it might look like we're not giving them our full attention.
Permission to knit at your funeral sounds like something you need to broadcast Renee. I would generally think of a funeral home as somewhere inappropriate, along with church and formal public performances. Waiting for appts, at the airport, etc. is usually fine, a productive alternative to reading a magazine (or so I thought ). I often knit while a passenger in a moving vehicle, but knitting when visiting with a friend really depends on the situation and the person.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
SandraS
Ribbing the Cuff

Yes, now that you mention reading, I would think the general rule of etiquette would be if it's ok to read, it's ok to knit.
SandraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
knovice
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting while seeing a professional play? In the front row? With metal needes... I agree with you all, no way.

But I have to say that there is one kind of live performance where I always bring my knitting and it saves my sanity. I'm talking about children's recitals. You know, the kind where 200 children are in the production, and your child or children are on stage for about a total of five minutes, and you have to sit through the rest of the two-hour show smiling bravely while everyone else's offspring mangle music charmingly? And you have to do that about eight to ten times a year? And you have to clap with enthusiasm and tell your kids how much you enjoyed being there? Knitting saves me.
knovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

I'm thinking that knitting while on the toilet is a no-no...especially if it's gift knitting...

Knitting while driving (I've seen it done - along with eating a full bowl of cereal; shaving with a real razor and cream; doing the entire multi-step makeup routine; eating fried chicken; etc.)

That's all I can think of for now...

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote