Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

Using cable w/ circular needles?
Hi,

I assume you can use a cable needle with circular needles, is that true?

The reason I ask is that straight needles are impossible to use with cables. I use US 11 size.

NEED TO VENT:
I tried 3 times yesterday. I had to P2 then take 3 stitches onto the cable needle. I need 3 arms because I can't hold onto the left, right and cable needle all at the same time. When I try to put the stitches on the cable my right needle falls to the ground . It did that 3 times in a row. Then, I finally got everything on the cable. Before using the cable I have to knit 3 stitches. When I did that the cable needle falls to the ground. The stitches are larger than the cable needle size. That's why they fall off constantly. I finally got to the point where I need to knit the cable needle stitches. When I did that the LEFT needle falls to the ground and I loose the 17 stitches on that one . Is there anyway possible to hold all 3 needles so everything stays on? That's why I thought the circular would be better. The needle can't fall to the ground, everythings attached.

I think smaller needles would work better with a cable needle because if you let go of one of your needles the stitches don't fall off. They pretty much don't move which is what I am going to try next.

THANKS for listening,
Heather
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
YouCantBuyThisMovement
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to YouCantBuyThisMovement Send a message via Yahoo to YouCantBuyThisMovement
One thing you can do is when you take your st's off the needle go ahead and slip the st's you are going to do first to the right needle then slip the ones on the cable needle back to the left needle and put the ones on the right back on and just knit them in one row.

I like to use my circulars when doing cables but then I like them for everything so I would try that.

Good luck and vent any time you need to.

YouCantBuyThisMovement is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YouCantBuyThisMovement For This Useful Post:
heatherg23 (05-14-2008)
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Don't give up! First, put your knitting down and take a breath. It sounds like your cable needle is too small. You should be able to put the cable stitches on, put them to the front or back (whichever your pattern says) and let go while you knit the other stitches. You shouldn't have to hold onto all 3 needles.
You can use a cable needle with a circular needle, which you may want to try in order to get the hang of it. But I definitely think you need a larger cable needle. Do you have a DPN in a larger size? You can use that!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
heatherg23 (05-14-2008)
Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Maybe use one of these stitch holders that looks like a giant safety pin instead of a cable needle - slip the 3 stitchs to that until you need to knit them, then slilp the stitches back onto the left needle when it's time to knit them.

Or watch the video here that shows how to cable without a cable needle. I have a difficult time w/ no calbe needle when knitting with smaller needles, but with your size 11 needles it should be fairly easy.

Good luck - don't give up!!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
heatherg23 (05-14-2008)
Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

This is definitely that the cable needle is too small. Nobody I know can hold the cable needle too, you just drop it to the front or back. With size 11 needles- I would use a pencil as your cable needle, or a circular needle (not necessarily for your project, but AS the cable needle, you can thread it through so the needles hang and the stitches are on the cable itself so you can let it go if the needles are small), or a stick...you get the idea. Sometimes when I use a weird object as a cable needle I put those stitches back up on the left needle when it's time to work them. Don't be afraid to MacGuyver your knitting.

It isn't you, I promise! You can do it!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
heatherg23 (05-14-2008)
Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Here's a little video I put together to show how to cable WITHOUT a cable needle.
Sometimes though a little explanation is necessary for clarity.
For a CF (cable front) with this technique you go UNDER the first part of your cable stitches (ex.: C6F- skip the first three stitches, go behind them and knit the next three stitches, then knit the skipped stitches and let them all fall off the left needle. No worries they'll be on the right needle all nice n twisted). One more thing with this technique, if you're making traveling vines or cables (half knit half purled) you would have to knit all the stitches for the CF. But don't worry those ones that are in back are hidden anyway.
For a CB (cable back) you would go OVER the first part of your cable stitches. (ex.: same as above, skip the first three stitches, go IN FRONT of them and either knit or purl (whatever the pattern says) the next 3 stitches, then either knit or purl the skipped stitches. Let them all fall from the left needle. They will be on the right needle all nice n twisted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Hope that helps ya hun.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fibrenut For This Useful Post:
Aello (05-13-2008), boo1 (05-13-2008), heatherg23 (05-14-2008), Mirl56 (05-14-2008)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Aello
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you for posting that video Fibrenut. That is the best way I have seen so far.
Don't give up Heather, you will figure it out! Cable needles do come in different sizes. You can use something bigger like a pencil like someone else posted. I think most of us just use whatever is handy lol.

Check out my Blog, Tears Of Purls.
Aello is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aello For This Useful Post:
fibrenut (05-13-2008)
Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Practice makes perfect!

Thanks
Heather
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Currently, I'm using a dpn and just hold it in my left hand along with the working needle.
Sometimes I use a fatter crochet hook as my cable needle, so I can drop it in front or behind without the sts falling off.

Just keep trying, you'll find a way that works for you.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote