Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Favorite sock yarn?
A couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine decided she wants to knit socks. I've knit a few pairs but told her for the ultimate online tutorial to check out Silver's sock class. She did and she is hooked. She as of last night she has knit 4 pairs in 2 weeks. Her birthday is coming up next week. I decided to get her some sock yarn. So what is your favorite yummiest sock yarn? I really can't spend too much any recs for under $30 would be great! Thanks

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Wow, she IS hooked! I think since it's her birthday you should get her a treat. A lot of the "favourite" sock yarns people have tend to be utilitarian and not luxurious. Some brands you should check out: Yarn Love, Dream in Colour, Schaefer, Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill, Apple Laine, Chewy Spaghetti.....they have some gorgeous ones that I've found.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
HollyP (06-21-2008)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm a huge fan of Trekking XXL. It's really tough stuff, comes in pretty colors and it's resilient to wear without being too rough. You can get a pair with some left overs with one skein, around $17.

Also, any of the Panda's will do: Panda Silk (criminally soft stuff, but slick), Panda Wool and Panda Soy. These aren't cheap, though, and you need at least two to get a pair, but more than likely, four. They can run about $9-10 a skein.

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viridian For This Useful Post:
HollyP (06-21-2008)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Indygirl

Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
I'm a huge fan of Trekking XXL. It's really tough stuff, comes in pretty colors and it's resilient to wear without being too rough. You can get a pair with some left overs with one skein, around $17.

Also, any of the Panda's will do: Panda Silk (criminally soft stuff, but slick), Panda Wool and Panda Soy. These aren't cheap, though, and you need at least two to get a pair, but more than likely, four. They can run about $9-10 a skein.
Thanks for the info on the panda yarn. I think I'm going to be short. I just went to the Yarn Market.com in Ohio on my way to the Knitters Connection. I bought 2 of ea. for 5 pairs of socks. I have long narrow feet. www.yarnmarket.com is a website so I guess I could just order more if need be. I guess I should get busy and knit up at least one sock to see how much yarn it will take.
That Panda Silk really feels nice
Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I have actually gotten quite addicted the the KP stuff. When I first saw it, I thought I was not going to care for it much...but I have done a pair of gloves and am on my way through a pair of socks, I quite like it!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
HollyP (06-21-2008)