Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

Do you prefer DPNs or circular needles when circular knitting?
I've never tried it before (DPNs), but it seems to be easier...

What do you think?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
cdjack
Turning the Heel

If possible, I always go for circulars. I hate dpns, unless I use them just to finish up a hat or something.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
knitgal
Working the Gusset

It depends I guess. I love my DPNs for sock knitting, although I haven't tried magic loop or two circs, but I like circs for hats and garments.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Mike
Working the Gusset

I use circular or ML to get a base going but after that I'd rather switch to DPNs if the item fits.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I'm with Knitgal, love the DPNs...then I switch to circulars if the piece is large enough. It takes getting past the "Unruly Hedgehog" stage and somehow your hands and the needles become friends and it works out.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
newamy
Working the Gusset

For small thinks I like DPN's. I've tried magic loop a couple of times and just don't like it.
For larger garments like a sweater body or a hat I use a circular. On a hat I move it on to DPN's when necessary.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I'm with Knitgal, love the DPNs...then I switch to circulars if the piece is large enough. It takes getting past the "Unruly Hedgehog" stage and somehow your hands and the needles become friends and it works out.
Yeah. . . the first fe rows on DPNs aren't fun, but then it gets going and I love them. I have a set of circs and everytime I start a project with them, I end up frogging it because I just get these big, loose, loopy sts. I hate circs. I don't know why I can't seem to get a good tension with them. It really is a bummer.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Andres
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
I have a set of circs and everytime I start a project with them, I end up frogging it because I just get these big, loose, loopy sts. I hate circs. I don't know why I can't seem to get a good tension with them.
That's why I don't like circular needles: loose stitches (I end up frogging my project too).

Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If you mean the loose sts on the cord, there's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't affect your gauge. The cord is smaller than the needles on purpose so the stitches slide easily and you can fit more on than straight needles. It's the needle tips that control the size of the stitch and has nothing to do with the sts on the cord.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
jheatherley
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never liked double points, and managed to escape them forever the day I discovered magic loop.
jheatherley is offline   Reply With Quote