Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
leswenger
Casting On

Novice Knitter Needs Help with Instructions!
Hello, I am making my first sleeveless turtleneck and have come to a part in the instructions where I am completely stumped. I have completed the back and have completed the front now I am at the "shape neck" I have 60 stiches on my needle and have continued as follows: dec row:s/1 kwise, k1, p1, k7, ssk, k1, place next 22 sts onto holder. I've completed up to this point, now is where I don't know how to proceed: Attach a separate strand of yarn to other side and work rem sts as follows: K1, k2tog, k7, p1, k2 working shoulders separately and AT THE SAME TIME, rep dec row every other row four times more.... Do I use another needle for each side and do them separately, meaning using a total of four needles? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
leswenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You leave the sts you just knitted on the same needle, take a stitch holder or other needle and put 22 sts on it. With another strand of yarn knit the remaining sts on the left needle. Work each shoulder with its own strand of yarn as if they were one row, but there's a gap in the middle for the sts on the holder which will be the neck.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
No, you don't need four needles, just 2. After you did the "s/1 kwise, k1, p1, k7, ssk, k1" drop that yarn right there (just leave it there as you will be coming back to it on the next row) and then put the next 22 on a holder, take a separate ball of yarn and start knitting with it on the stitches to the left of the 22 you put on the holder (using the same needle to knit with that you used at the beginning of the row). You will do the "K1, K2tog, K7, P1, K2" and then turn and work the next row however you are supposed to do it up to the gap. Drop the yarn there and go over to the one waiting on the other side of the gap and use it for the rest of the purl row. All the purl stitches end up on the same needle. Turn.

Now do a decrease row again since it says do it every other row. All your decrease rows will fall on the knit rows and you are to do four more decrease rows after the first one, for a total of 5 decrease rows. Just use the same needles for all of it working right across the gap, but use the separate balls of yarn on each side of the gap.

I hope I made that clear. :-)