Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Hsiaokuo62
Fibro/Chronic Fatigue Friends
Hello! I'm Laura and I'd like to start a thread for mutual support and encouragement for folks like me with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. This thread is for positive talk and encouragement, as well as understanding support.

I'm a knitter and I love KnittingHelp.com! I love the community and the fact that I can get an answer to a knitting problem almost immediately, since there is always someone "on" looking at the help threads!

I have found that my "fibro-fog" interferes with working on some of the patterns I crave - sometimes I am able to follow the directions, and other times I just forget and can't seem to understand - and I'm talking the same project!

But then I just work on the easy stuff until my ability to count etc.. returns. I have one project which is still on hold waiting for my smarts to come back! It is a multiple cable vest, where the cables crisscross each other - counting and following a chart is a must.

Anyway, if you have fibro and/or chronic fatigue and would like to build a friendship system online, please reply!!

OTN: socks for DS almost done.
Hsiaokuo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when my children were young. My symptoms were very severe at first but have gradually eased off. I wonder, though, if you're ever truly "cured" of it. I tend to forget that I've had it but then am reminded when I get the strange aches.

I appreciate your "fog" comment. It was a reminder to me that this is part of it. I often feel strange...like it's not normal; however, for this condition, it is.

Nice to "meet" you. I look forward to others' posts in this thread!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Another knitter here with fibromyalgia I'm lucky- mine comes and goes. Unfortunately, the fibro-fog is always here, though.
We moved back to Texas from Michigan a few years ago which is when my fibro started become more manageable.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Hi!
Hi Auburnchick and CDJack! Glad to meet you! Do you guys want to share what works for you, what has helped? Sounds like both of you have recovered, at least to some degree, which is SO encouraging!

Here is a start on my favorites...
  • Warm baths
  • I wear scarves any time of the year that I need them (I used to think they were for decoration!) In summer I use silk scarves or knit my own from silky/cottony sock yarn. My neck is often so COLD!
  • I found some awesome stuff for energy - its called "Corvalen" and is available several places online. I take it with Fibroplex pills (made by Metagenics) and today someone at the gym complimented me on my energy!! Now THAT makes my day!
Laura

Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I do warm baths as well. As soon as it gets to be about 60 outside, my feet are freezing and don't really thaw out until mid-spring. I also love Therma-care heat wraps.

I also make sure that I get as much sleep a night as possible. And I try not to drink much alcohol. This past weekend, my dh and I went to his family's lake house. I didn't sleep well (not enough sleep on an uncomfortable bed) and I had two glasses of wine. My entire body felt like one big bruise all day Sunday and today.

I also do pilates. And I try my hardest not to eat processed foods.

I'm definitely not cured, but now I'm lucky to only have one really bad "fibro-attack" a month. However, it usually hits more often during the winter months. I think Holiday stress has something to do with it.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Hsiaokuo62
Turning the Heel

Today
Good Morning

Today I am outta here really fast, and at present am making haste slowly... I have a mtg in Phoenix at noon, 3 hrs drive from here (I'm in flagstaff AZ) and I have to drop my dog off at the kennel, since I won't get home til latish.

We have snow on the peaks! It snowed here a few days ago, but melted in town. This morning does not seem so cold, but the computer says its 25*

How about we introduce ourselves a bit more fully soon? I don't have time this morning but hope to tomorrow. I have invited several friends from a list serve I'm on, since this is such a user-friendly interface.

Have a great day!
Laura