Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
not2crafty
Casting On

converting a hat pattern to regular needles
Hi. I'm new here, and tried to post a question yesterday, but haven't seen it show up so I'll try again. I've been learning how to knit and want to make my husband a hat for Christmas. But I have been learning on regular needles with end protectors, and I don't feel like I have the time or money to learn with circulars or buy circulars. I found a free pattern online that I like (I want to do one with ear flaps), but actually all the patterns I've seen use circular needles. Is there a way to convert this to using regular needles? I'd really appreciate the help as soon as possible...I'm getting nervous about being able to get this done. Thanks so much!
not2crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could knit it the same except back and forth, adding the ear flaps as you go. Here's a pattern someone else was having trouble with - http://www.knitlist.com/95gift/ski.htm which should be easy enough to change. Make the ear flaps, then CO half the back sts, plus one, knit one flap, CO the sts for the front, knit the other flap, then CO the other half of the back sts plus one. The 2 extra sts are for the seam and will be up the back of the hat.

Then knit in garter or ribbing for 6 rows, then in stockinette until length before decreases. Do the dec rows as written, though there will be one extra stitch at each end, purl the plain knit rows.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
not2crafty
Casting On

Wow, I am really new to this. I guess you'll have to explain to me what CO stands for.

Here is the pattern I like best, except that I would do it all solid without any patterns in it.
http://people.uleth.ca/~hodd/Knitting/ChulloPattern.htm

How would I make the transition between the hat stitches and knitting in the ear flaps?

I'm sorry I have so many questions. Like I said, I've never knitted and I don't know anyone I can ask (nobody I know knits!). I live in a small town that doesn't have a knitting shop I can go to. But maybe I'll learn and teach the town!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
CO equals cast on. The pattern you linked to is similar to the one I linked and how I described you could adapt it, it's knit on circulars, but you can do it flat. Knit the ear flaps separately and put them on holders or a smaller needle. Cast on separately, then using the cast on yarn, knit the stitches of the first flap to the right needle. Then cast on more stitches and knit the other flap sts ending with the final stitches cast on. Then you can either knit in ribbing or garter stitch for a few rows, and switch to stockinette stitch. There's no `transition' exactly, you just knit the flap stitches between the cast on for the front and back edges. Oh, and you'll have to do a knit or cable caston, long tail won't work except for the first set of sts and then it won't match the others.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
not2crafty
Casting On

Thanks SOO much for your help! I'll pick up the right size needles tomorrow and get started. I'm guessing I'll have more questions, but we'll see.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
not2crafty
Casting On

Okay, I already have another question. I did my swatch check today and I came up with a 3" square instead of a 4" square. Any guesses on how much to go up? I used 3.75mm like my pattern said. I'm new and not very fast, so I'm overwhelmed at the idea of doing lots of blind guesses with swatches. I need to get started on my hat!