Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
ham74
Casting On

How does loose yarn get behind the knitting between caston and knitting?
Hi. I've watched some of the really great videos on the video page here. They've been a huge help. I've been able to knit a few rows and they're getting better, but they're awfully bumpy. So I watched the videos again and again and I can't see how I go wrong, but I do see that I have the yarn on top of the knitting instead of behind it. Practice will likely make my knitting less bumpy, but practice isn't going to reverse that particular problem. And I think that might be contributing to the bumpiness.

I noticed the "knit" videos start after a few rows are already on. Is there something that is supposed to happen between the caston and the knitting that I'm missing?

These things are hard to explain, which is why I love the site's videos so much. A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth a thousand pictures. But this is the best I could do.

Thanks.
ham74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
ham74
Casting On

oops - I forget that the words have precise meanings - when I said "loose" yarn, I think I meant "working yarn". (it's just loose compared to what's been knitted)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
After you knit a row and turn it, the working yarn will be in front, because it was in the back before you turned. When you knit the next row, make sure that your yarn goes under the needles and behind.

Another thing is that when you knit all the rows, you will get garter stitch--which looks like a bumpy row and a smooth row. The knit stitch is the reverse of a purl. When you knit every row, you're essentially ending up with knits and purls showing on both sides.

If you want all V's on the front and bumps on the back, you have to knit one row, purl one row.

Does that answer your question?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
ham74 (02-28-2009)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can look at Demo of a Small Project on the Tips page, to see a piece from caston to bind off which shows how you progress from the cast on to the first row. When you're at the end of the row and turn to start the next one, move your yarn out a little to the side, then to the back. Too often new knitters have the yarn up over the top of the needle to the back which pulls up the first stitch and makes it look like 2 sts. That's a great way to add extra stitches when you don't want to...

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ham74 (02-28-2009)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
ham74
Casting On

Thanks, guys. I must have been stopping after the same number of rows each time and not realized that it alternates.

I definitely didn't realize you have to switch the stitch to keep the appearance consistent, or that the first row is naturally bumpier than the others (when you switch the stitch type).

I'm going to watch that demo video now and then practice some more.

-H