Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Mike
Working the Gusset

No seam socks on straights
Anyone know of a free online pattern for these?

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Ain't no such thing . You can't knit a tube on straights. You CAN do it with magic loop on 1 long circ. But real straights?-- no. I have seen patterns that button up the side, but inside shoes, that's going to be mighty uncomfortable. But you could do it for slipper socks, I guess. Is there a reason you want to do this?
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by imrachel View Post
Ain't no such thing . You can't knit a tube on straights.
Try this, cast on 6-8 stitches. Knit the 1st stitch, bring the yarn forward as if to purl and slip the 2nd. Knit the 3rd, bring the yarn forward as if to purl and slip the 4th.
Repeat to the end, turn and repeat.

Now that we have established that you can indeed knit a tube on straights my original question stands.

Quote:
Is there a reason you want to do this?
The challenge.

Actually I don't need a pattern. But if there is one I wouldn't mind reading it.

If there indeed isn't one it would probably be a good idea for me to keep track of what I do so there will be one in the future.

YouTube channel
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I wanted to agree with Rachel, but yes, have to agree with Mike. Even before reading Mike's 2nd post, I was thinking of that lionbrand bunny blanket thing where you knit the head on straights in the method Mike described.

That said, I've never seen a sock pattern knit that way. I've cretainly not seen every sock pattern ever, but it sure feels like it some days. You should definitely keep good notes. I'd be interested in how you do the gusset, or maybe something like an after thought or before thought heel would work better.

Keep us posted!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
I wanted to agree with Rachel, but yes, have to agree with Mike. Even before reading Mike's 2nd post, I was thinking of that lionbrand bunny blanket thing where you knit the head on straights in the method Mike described.

That said, I've never seen a sock pattern knit that way. I've cretainly not seen every sock pattern ever, but it sure feels like it some days. You should definitely keep good notes. I'd be interested in how you do the gusset, or maybe something like an after thought or before thought heel would work better.

Keep us posted!
The gusset is fairly easy. It's the heel turn and grafting (without switching to 2 needles) that I'd have to do to be sure.

This is what I wrote out from memory (I find it easier to write corrections than to write out a pattern as I do it).
Quote:
Cast on 44
Slip 22 to a DPN.
Alternate slipping from those 2 needles at the middle of the CO to a single needle.

Joining and ribbing

K2tog, bring yarn forward, M1 (from back CO).
* P1, keep yarn forward slip 1. K1, bring yarn forward, slip 1, P1, keep yarn forward, slip 1. Repeat from * to end of row.
Turn, * K1, bring yarn forward, slip 1, P1, keep yarn forward, slip 1. Repeat to end of row.
That is the end of round 1.

Repeat "K1, bring yarn forward, slip 1, P1, keep yarn forward, slip 1, turn" until you have your desired amount of ribbing.

Stockinette leg

*K1, bring yarn forward, slip 1. Repeat from * until desired length of leg.

Heel flap

Count 22 stitches and place marker.
Continue "K1, yf, sl 1" to marker. Turn, yf, sl 2 (I can't picture if this should be sl1 or sl2), *p1, sl1. Repeat from * to end of row. Turn, repeat from * to marker.
Turn, sl 1, yf, sl 1, *K1, yf, sl 1, repeat from * to end of row, turn, repeat from * to end of row.

Repeat for 22 rows.

(By now you should have the concept down so I'm going to stop telling you to slip the other side, just do it.)

Heel turn
(to decrease you need to rearrange your stitches so you have 2 from the side you are working on together. I do this by dropping the wayward stitch and picking it back up. But the good news is that by picking them up they're already rearranged for you on the other side, I think, if I'm wrong it will require a different type of heel turn to avoid excessive rearranging. It should work like that for the gusset.)

If you ended at a marker knit so all stitches are on one needle.
K5, K2tog, K1, turn.
Sl1 (remember I'm not telling you to slip the other side any more, just do it), P6, SSP, P1 turn.
Sl1, K7, K2tog, K1 turn.

Continue in this manner adding one more each time until you end run out of stitches, turn and knit across (or don't if that would be purling across).

Gusset

Replace or leave marker on your top of foot needle. Alternate picking up stitches from each side of heel flap with your top of foot needle.
* Knit down to 3 stitches (from this side, remember I'm not referring to that side any more) before marker. K2tog, k to end, turn K to marker, K1, K2tog, knit to end.
Turn, knit one straight round.
Repeat from * until you have 44 stitches on your needles.

Foot

Knit until you have a length about 1 1/2" from the end of your toe.

Toe

Slip 22 stitches to a DPN. Alternate slipping this side and that side from the 2 needles back to your straight needle. (This is mainly to avoid using markers, I don't think it's needed.)

Knit to 3 of this side's stitches before the end. K2tog, K1. Turn, K1, SSK, knit to 3 stitches before the end, K2tog, K1, turn K1 SSK. K1 rnd even.
Repeat until 16 stitches remain.

Grafting Toe

Cut off yarn leaving a length at least 3 times wider than the sock toe.

Thread yarn onto needle.
Insert in stitch 1 as if to purl. Insert in stitch 2 as if to knit.

(I'll have to do this to get it written out accurately
.)

YouTube channel
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (03-04-2009)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

This sounds amazing-- but hey, that's cheating to incorporate the DPN . I meant you can't just take a pair of straight needles and make a sock on it without any seaming whatsoever.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote