Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

Frustrated with felting
I'm about ready to give up felting!! My projects never turn out like the pictures in the patterns!! They are so much work, then you throw them in the machine and you never know what is going to come out when it's done!! The last five things I've felted have turnout ridiculous. The first was a basket-bag thingy that I shrunk too far, rendering it useless. Then I made a bag that was shaped completely wrong after felting, then two bowls that wouldn't sit upright. Now this most recent bag I worked on for two months. I just felted this this morning and it's completely useless. It's too shallow and too wide at the opening.

What gives???
isaiah507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
candicane
Working the Gusset

Is the gauge of your pre-felted project correct? Do your pre-felted dimensions match the pattern?

If so, maybe you just need to do a little blocking/shaping will it is still wet.
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, I confess, I don't do a pre-felt gauge. I know it's my own dumb fault. I guess I've also learned the hard way that the tiniest adjustments to the pattern have big effects in felting projects.

But this last pattern I did, I followed the closest and it still wasn't right. I think there was a problem with the pattern, but I asked the person who wrote it and they said that it was correct.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
How do you felt? Do you just toss in the washer and let it finish? I check every 5-10 min till it's the way I want it to look. Then I take it out and block or whatever.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

I just let it run through the whole cycle. So you reach into a washing machine full of water and pull out a dripping wet bag? Then what do you do with it?

I think the problem is me sticking to the pattern. Except this last pattern was flawed, I don't care what the lady said!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
alioop
Casting On

Yes, you pull it out of the machine, open the lingerie bag you have felted it in, look at it and if it is felted enough, take it out. If it is not felted enough, put it back in and run the machine some more, checking frequently. People with front loading machines are at a disadvantage in felting because they can't check on the progress.

When you are satisfied with the degree of felting, squeeze out as much water as possible. Rinse. Squeeze out water. It is risky to use the washer spin cycle because any resulting creases are permanent.

Shape as needed, pulling to shape if necessary. For something like yours bowls, make sure you are allowing them to dry with a flat bottom. This may require that you put something in them to keep the bottom flat. You can use household items to get the right shape. I have used mixing bowls to block hats.

Good luck with future felting. Don't give up on it yet!
alioop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
prettylittlelie
1st Leg of the Journey

When I felt i am SUPER anal
I sit and check every minute or so lol
and when i felt things that i want to keep shape
i stuff the suckers lol
prettylittlelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
isaiah507
Ribbing the Cuff

so... am I going to try again with this different felting process? oy. not any time soon I don't think. I'm too wounded from this last defeat. I mean... 2 and half months of knitting?? for nothing?? man, does that hurt!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I keep a long handled wooden spoon nearby to pull it out of the hot water. I check and as Alice said if it's felted through or to my liking I take it out then. I usually run it under cold water in the sink to rinse and cool it off. Then I use an empty cereal box, bucket or whatever to block it to shape till it drys. Oh if you're using a cereal box be sure to put it in plastic first and stuff it full of newspapers or something to firm it up a bit.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
knitman
Casting On

felting
If you want more control on the progress of your felted project, you can also felt it by hand in a kitchen or bathroom sink and massaging the project until its felted as little or as much as you want. It may take a little longer, but you have more control. Then if you need to, you can block it afterwards.
knitman is offline   Reply With Quote