Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
mwhite
Instepping Out

Gardening... the "Flower" bug has bitten!
MMMMmmmmm I found a gorgeous, peach Hibiscus today and snatched it up. It's now planted in my front flower bed with tons of buds just waiting to bloom!

So, now rifling through all my seeds and found Columbine, Impatiens, more Hibiscus, Candy lilies, Cannas, Sunflowers, Stella D'Ora Daylilies.....OMG! Gotta go dig! Spring is finally here, the birds are singing....We have a Whipporwil and there's a wild Peacock living in the woods beside us. And tomorrow is Good Friday....time to plant!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I hear you! I have some Cannas I got today that I need to find a place for - plant impulse buys are a little harder than yarn to deal with. I just love Cannas though! I was blown away by a Loripetalum that I was pretty sure was dying after being hit by a falling tree last fall to suddenly burst into full bloom last week. I just love spring!!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
mwhite
Instepping Out

Don't you love "gardening" surprises? I had a Clematis that I dug up when we moved two years ago and I thought surely it was gone from the cold and moving abuse but it's out there climbing again!!! Now if I can just get the "diggerdog", Buckeroo, to leave my plantings alone! Grrrrr! We have a chat every morning..."Now, be a good boy and don't be diggerdog today, PLEASE!!! Every afternoon there's a new "nest" about the size of Buck, in the front flowerbed where he's kept cool....
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

I'm envious....I CAN NOT PLANT ANYTHING until May...I am in zone 5 and we still can get a good frost...Oh, but I did winter-over my dahlias in my neighbors basement (hopefully they didn't rot) and I can always "buy" impatients at the greenhouse (as established plants)..etc etc..so go ahead, plant all you want see if I care

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there.
What..the perennials are what?? OMG!! we have to buy those (already grown and staked in pots) enjoy for a few months, then (they are not hardy here) watch as they slowly perish outside (don't know if you can grow em indoors)Right now my daffs and tulips are poking up (that's about it) oh yea and the daylillies, bearded iris too....gotta wait till middle of May to see anything bloom... BTW..what's a "diggerdog"?

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
mwhite
Instepping Out

Our daffs and hyacinths are just about done blooming. The lilies and iris are blooming now. Peonies and Hostas are putting out foliage. I do have to winter my mandevillas in the garage and yes, with a sunroom or greenhouse, they'll grow year round. I grow alot of tropicals so they have to be wintered as well.

What is a diggerdog? Buck is about 1-1/2 years old, part labrador, weighs 90 lbs and loves to dig! He used to chew up everything, trailer connectors on the back of trucks, wet shoes left on the porch, plastic flowerpots and has been known to drag large pieces of firewood to his "chew" area. Now he just digs, runs the cats and somehow manages to distribute tiny little black hairs all over my bedroom floor. I love him to pieces but he's a Diggerdog.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Hey, I know we met on DG (Dave's Garden) way before KH, did I ever send you any of my heirloom Amaryllis seeds? I'll be glad to, I got plenty of the red (the coral never has been a good seed producer). Here's a pic - flowers are 6-7" across:

Anyone interested just PM me your address and I'll send you 50 or so seeds and if you send your email address I'll send the PDF with the plant's history and germinating instructions. The original was my husband's grandmothers back in the 60's or perhaps even as far back as the 40's.

More Amaryllis pics in my Picasa web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/arielluria/LuSGarden#

Another pic:
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:

Last edited by Arielluria : 04-15-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: 2nd pic & info
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
mwhite
Instepping Out

Actually we met on Gardeningclub.com forums and I have some of the coral ones from you. They are in my seed collection...that's been kept in a cool, dry place for a couple of years. I've been germinating some of the moonflowers and petunias. I'll pull out the Amaryllis seeds and see if they are still viable.

You are the one that told me about KH in the first place! Thank you very much!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Arielluria
Instepping Out

That's my memory for you! I'm glad you got some corals, it's been a few years since I've been able to harvest ANY seeds from them.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote