Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
stonesuz
Casting On

"knit next 2 rows evenly"?
Hat pattern (Plain stockinette stitch) has instruction after first decrease; "then purl next row, knit next 2 rows evenly, and purl next row" What do they mean? Won't the hat have purl bumps on front if you knit 2 rows in sequence?
Thanks from a beginner
stonesuz
stonesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
MrsWildchild
Ribbing the Cuff

Sounds like it. Sometimes that is done for effect, but you say it's all stockinette. Could be an error. That happens pretty often, too.
MrsWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsWildchild For This Useful Post:
stonesuz (04-13-2009)
Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
It does sound like it. Can you post a link to the pattern so we can see it?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
doc4dolls
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to doc4dolls
They probably meant "work two rows evenly". That sounds like an error the way it is written if it is all stockinette. As one person said, errors are not uncommon. Do you have a link?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
stonesuz
Casting On

knit next 2 rows evenly
here is the link
http://www.ehow.com/how_4759500_knit...t-needles.html
there also seems to be a discrepancy in the decrease numbers. It looks like there are 2 rows of k 4 k2tog. Looks like the k5 k2 tog should replace one of those.
Is there a way to keep the purl side of the ktog stitches smooth instead of lumpy?
Thanks
SUZ
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This is knit flat, so you knit a row, purl a row. There are no purl bumps on the knit side. So they were using the word 'knit' as a verb, not what stitches you should use. That's why some patterns will say 'work' x rows so there's no misunderstanding. If you're knitting it in the round, knit all rows.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
stonesuz (04-14-2009)
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
doc4dolls
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to doc4dolls
Originally Posted by stonesuz View Post
here is the link
http://www.ehow.com/how_4759500_knit...t-needles.html
there also seems to be a discrepancy in the decrease numbers. It looks like there are 2 rows of k 4 k2tog. Looks like the k5 k2 tog should replace one of those.
Is there a way to keep the purl side of the ktog stitches smooth instead of lumpy?
Thanks
SUZ
Here is my interpetation of the pattern. Let me know if it helps...there was an error and if you look after step 5 they corrected it.

1 Check your gauge and adjust your needle size as required. The gauge for this project is: 12 stitches/12rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch.

Step2 Begin your hat by casting on 60 stitches. Work 10 rows in knit 2 purl 2 ribbing, then work in stockinette stitch until the hat is 5 inches from the cast on edge.

Step3 (Start shaping the hat's crown by doing decreases on the knit rows only). The next knit row, start decrease as follows: *knit 8, then decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*.

Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 54 stitches on your needle).

Then purl next row, knit next 2 rows evenly, and purl next row.

I would P1 row, k1 row, P1 row because they way they have it it would be P1 row, k2 rows, p1 row, you wouldn't have a true stockinette st hat.If you look after step 5 this is what they

said so I believe the above is an error.

Step4 Decrease again on knit row: decrease as follows: *knit 7, decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*. Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 48 stitches on your

needle).

Purl next row, knit 1 row evenly, and purl next row.

Step5 Decrease for your hat again on knit row: as follows: *knit 6, then decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*. Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 42 stitches on

your needle).

Step6 Decrease again on knit row:as follows: *knit 4, then decrease by knitting 2 stitches together.* Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 36 stitches on your needle).

Purl next row, knit 1 row evenly, and purl next row (your hat should be beginning to take shape).

Step7 Decrease again on knit row:as follows: *knit 4, then decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*. Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 30 stitches on your needle).

Step8 Decrease again on knit row: as follows: *knit 3, the decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*. Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 24 stitches on your needle).

Step9 Finally, decrease one last time on knit row: as follows: *knit 1, the decrease by knitting 2 stitches together*. Repeat between * until end of row (there should be 18 stitches on

your needle).

Step10 Leaving a 12-inch tail, cut yarn. Thread the darning needle, then weave tail through the remaining stitches on needle and draw tightly. Seam up the side of your hat using a

mattress stitch. Weave in ends and block lightly if necessary.

I like to take a sheet of paper and mark off the rows so I know I did them including row 11 and on. If I make the hat again I have my sheet that tells me how many rows it took to get to the

5" if guage or yarn is the same.
Cast on 60 st
rows 1 - 10 rib by k2, p2 accross each row.
Row 11 stockinette st : k one row, p one row until piece measures 5" from the cast on edge.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
stonesuz
Casting On

Thanks for all your help. I kinda thought the same as you and followed what we thought. The hat turned out OK except it seemed too tall for the circumference. Do you think that 60 stitches as a cast on is too small? I've normally seen 80 on this type of hat.
SUZ
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It depends on the size of the needles and the yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote