Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
margz3
Working the Gusset

Quick Sock Question
So, I finally bit the bullet and dove into making a pair of socks This is pretty much also my first experience using DPN's, with the exception of finishing off a couple of hats knit in the round. Anyhow, I have one question, as I am not sure I am doing this correctly. Should the RS of the work be on the outside as I look at the sock? It seems to be on the inside (like when I look down into the sock) I know I can flip it, but when I tried that, the DPNs seemed all funny the way they lay - maybe it's just a matter of getting used to holding them differently - and I would like to correct this if I am doing it wrong, rather than fall into bad habits early on LOL!

Hope this made sense and TIA for any advice

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
You're doing them inside out. The "outside" should be on the outside. When you hold the needles the circle of knitting should be away from you and the needles you're working on closest to you. Like this:
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes...g_in_the_Round

It's a good idea to learn the 'right' way if you can so you won't have any problems in the future. Some people do just turn them right side out, but since you asked...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
margz3 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You're doing them inside out. The "outside" should be on the outside. When you hold the needles the circle of knitting should be away from you and the needles you're working on closest to you. Like this:
http://community.knitpicks.com/notes...g_in_the_Round

It's a good idea to learn the 'right' way if you can so you won't have any problems in the future. Some people do just turn them right side out, but since you asked...
I had a feeling I was bass ackwards! It just felt so funny when I flipped it, but I absolutely wanted to get the "right" way down pat....and before I got to the whole heel/gusset part! Lord only knows what the darn things would come out looking like lol!

Thanks for the help Jan!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by margz3 View Post
I had a feeling I was bass ackwards!
Correction you were trying an alternative technique and have decided to try a more traditional method. Sometime alternative techniques result in new methods and sometimes they result in a learning experience.

Good luck can't wait for pictures.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Correction you were trying an alternative technique and have decided to try a more traditional method. Sometime alternative techniques result in new methods and sometimes they result in a learning experience.

Good luck can't wait for pictures.
You are right....I must remember to "think positive" when knitting!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I don't remember who it was, but someone here suggested to think of your knitting as a cup and you're knitting on the part you drink from. It should look like a cup, open on the bottom for a top down sock. I have trouble sometimes joining in the round and getting everything looking right when I start it, but I always stop and compare it to the cup analogy.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
patsuweb
Casting On

Hi...I am new to sock knitting also and also find myself knitting inside out when I first start. After a few rows, I just turn it RS out and it seems to work out just fine. I think that it just takes a while to get used to using the DPN's as I started out using the Magic Loop method, which has less needles to manage. I think that I may end up going back to the Magic Loop, but wanted to give the DPN's a try as it seems easier to understand the heel flap and gusset. I am about done with my first complete pair on knitting worsted done toe down and it is getting easier....looks like from the first sock, it will fit perfectly, even if not knit perfectly! I plan on doing a pair with sock yarn and size 1 needles next.

You can find me on Ravelry as patsuweb
My Blog on My Adventures in Knitting:
http://newbienitter.blogspot.com/
patsuweb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to patsuweb For This Useful Post:
margz3 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by patsuweb View Post
Hi...I am new to sock knitting also and also find myself knitting inside out when I first start. After a few rows, I just turn it RS out and it seems to work out just fine. I think that it just takes a while to get used to using the DPN's as I started out using the Magic Loop method, which has less needles to manage. I think that I may end up going back to the Magic Loop, but wanted to give the DPN's a try as it seems easier to understand the heel flap and gusset. I am about done with my first complete pair on knitting worsted done toe down and it is getting easier....looks like from the first sock, it will fit perfectly, even if not knit perfectly! I plan on doing a pair with sock yarn and size 1 needles next.
Can't wait to see your FO! I figured I would start with DPNs, just to get the hang of it, but I really want to learn magic loop! I just have to find some quiet time that I can sit and watch the videos!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I tried magic loop, but if I'm not using DPNs I prefer using the two circular needle method. Just another one to try someday for you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
margz3 (04-14-2009)