Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Do you feel this way about socks?
I've been knitting socks from the toe up for a few years and I love how they turn out. I have used ALL different brands of sock yarns. Opal, Lorna's Lace, and Regia just to name a few. But after I wear them for a short while they seem to GROW on my feet. They get loose. One brand I noticed felt slippery on my hard wood floors!! I am reluctant to wear them again for fear of slipping on the floor. I don't wear my knit socks with shoes since they make my shoes too tight so I am happy just to wear them around the house.
I've been knitting socks mostly with Cascade Fixation sock yarn that has elastic in it and I LOVE how they come out. They are soft, sturdy and stretchy but they do NOT grow on my feet and they wash well and dry fine too. I literally wear them all day long around the house.
I love the other yarns for their colors and self striping effects etc..but does anyone else experience their socks "growing" with each step? Any way I can end up loving those other fancy sock yarns and enjoy wearing them? Thanks so much for any insight you can give me.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

You know the non-skid stuff for the bottoms of the sock? I've heard if you put those on, they work. Besides, you said that you don't wear your socks with shoes, so....

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...AA11DBBCD896D2

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/jifgripbrnon.html

(Thanks to Jan for referring me and yiziee to these sites! )
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knittingymnast For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (06-09-2009)
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I knit my socks about 1/2 inch shorter than my foot...because I found I was getting a loose heel after the second or third wash...so even though my foot measures at a 9.5 inch...I make my foot 9" and stretch them out a bit...they may be a bit snug after the first or second round, but then they are perfect..for me....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

socks
I wear my socks with my shoes. I usually stop knitting the pattern after I turn the heel. I tried it with the pattern all the way and it was too tight to wear with shoes. I haven't had a problem with stretching yet but I will watch them. Thanks for the heads up as I us all kinds of yarn to make socks. I usually go top to toe. Know any good toe up pattern links?
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Lots of toe UP patterns here...
Originally Posted by mathwizard View Post
I wear my socks with my shoes. I usually stop knitting the pattern after I turn the heel. I tried it with the pattern all the way and it was too tight to wear with shoes. I haven't had a problem with stretching yet but I will watch them. Thanks for the heads up as I us all kinds of yarn to make socks. I usually go top to toe. Know any good toe up pattern links?
Yes, I just found this site yesterday. She has lots of pretty toe UP sock patterns. She also just put out a book on the subject too...but nice these are all FREE patterns...enjoy...
http://wendyknits.net/finished-work-...-tips/sub-page
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
melmac51
Turning the Heel

I've bought the dpn's, looked longingly at sock yarn, but am too chicken to try to make them. Maybe I'll go back to JoAnn's and look again.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I have socks that my aunt has made me that do this and I think it's because she knits more loosely than I do. The socks that I have knit don't seem to "grow" because I knit at a pretty tight gauge and, just like Crycket, I don't knit my socks at exactly the right length, but just a bit shorter.

The Cascade fixation has some elastic in it, which is probably helping to prevent growth in your socks. There are a few other sock yarns that have elastic in them that you could use- or perhaps try knitting elastic into the sock?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow...this is a real bummer for me. I am relatively new to knitting and I have been looking forward to knitting socks. But I want to wear mine with shoes. It's disappointing to hear about the tightness and the creeping issues.

Does it depend on the size needles? I would prefer a smaller knit stitch sock (if that makes sense).

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by JudiToots View Post
Wow...this is a real bummer for me. I am relatively new to knitting and I have been looking forward to knitting socks. But I want to wear mine with shoes. It's disappointing to hear about the tightness and the creeping issues.

Does it depend on the size needles? I would prefer a smaller knit stitch sock (if that makes sense).
I wear mine with shoes...of course a thicker yarn with larger needles will give a thicker sock.... (you could always go up half a size with your shoe, too. )

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I'm fairly new to socks, have made a couple pairs using Bernat SOX yarn.
They don't stay really tight to my foot, but aren't overly loose either. I wear them in shoes no problem.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote