Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Veggie garden update/photos

gorgeous little pumpkins! hopefully, we'll get enough pumpkins for each of the grandkids to get one!

I've decided that there really is no GOOD way to take a picture of zucchini. No matter what angle you shoot at, it just looks WRONG! LOL! But, we're getting TONS of little zucchinis as you can see!

little baby butternut squash!

FINALLY getting a few tomatoes! (still no peppers) what a rough year it's been for tomatoes!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Zucchini.. You're right!

Everything looks yummy!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
evona
Working the Gusset

Ohhhh yummy!!!!! My tomatoes are just now coming in too.

Those squash blossoms look yummy too - they're great in stir fry.
evona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
bambi
Working the Gusset

Yummy! Make sure to make some squash blossom soup with some of those flors de calabacita

http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipe0805b.htm

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (08-07-2009)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
sabrinasmom
Knitting the Flap

Hi How did the Topsy Turvy do? Many tomatoes? My tomatoes didn't do good this year. I'm sure it was the gardener though!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Melanie, don't blame yourself. Doesn't seem like many got good tomatoes this year. Don't know why, except here, we had a late summer, and not enough early heat.

I've only had about twentyfive so far. They'll probably all pop out just before the first frost.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sabrinasmom View Post
Hi How did the Topsy Turvy do? Many tomatoes? My tomatoes didn't do good this year. I'm sure it was the gardener though!
Oh, no! I doubt it was the gardener at all! My tomatoes didn't do very well this year, either. Although, the ones in the raised beds did VASTLY better than the topsy turvey one! I don't know exactly where we went wrong with that... On a drive down to pick up my son from his baby-momma's house, we noticed that one of her neighbors has 4 of them hanging up - all were doing better than ours! Perhaps it is the gardener after all! LOL!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Looks like a productive year for you. Great pictures.
I am getting tired of harvesting my garden. We've had a good tomato year here in eastern Wa. I got my first ripe tomato in June, I usually don't get any until Aug. I just processed a batch into the freezer as well as broccoli and strawberries. I hope to start getting to the corn tomorrow. I'm so sick of eating produce. I had cantaloupe for dinner tonight and watermelon yesterday. I'm sick of cucumbers and onions in vinegar. I am so grateful to be able to complain about a surplus of food instead of otherwise.
I hope your garden gets your kitchen overflowing with bounty as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

not yet being a plant goddess myself, it really wasn't too productive a year! the squash borers got my crop just as I was beginning to harvest. I managed one pumpkin, one butternut, and three zucchinis, but that's all!
I did get a good crop of lettuce and herbs, without much bug damage, but all my broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc were a cabbage moth festival. UGH! EVERYTHING I picked was covered in bugs! It was so disheartening! Tomatoes, as I said before, was a tough year. Not very many even though I planted 9 vines. I've yet to have a good tomato salad, tomato sandwich, or tomato soup out of them.
It's a first year garden, and that never goes very well. I have to wait for the ecosystem to balance itself out. Once the birds find the bugfest, it should even itself out.
I do thank you for your very kind, warm wishes for a bountiful harvest. It just touched my heart so! THANK YOU!