Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
pompeytid1970
Casting On

Brand new guy to knitting
Excuse me ladies (a pretty safe assumption I'm sure), I am interested in learning to knit stuff and was wondering if I could have a few pointers.

I've learned how to cast on (long-tail style?) and have knitted 20 or so err stitches across - it was quite a buzz can tell you The thing is, what do I do now? Do I knit or perl or do I thread a piece of wool through it in some fashion? Please understand I have no idea any of what I've just said means but I vaguely remember stuff my Mum said too many years ago?!

I am trying to make a scarf (I figured a scarf would be suitable for a beginner?) for my girlfriend's new niece, so if there's a suitable pattern somebody could share with me, I would be most grateful

Thanks in advance,
Julian
pompeytid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Welcome Julian!! And congrats on casting on and knitting your first row! I would just keep practicing the knit stitch and your tension. Garter stitch (knitting every row) scarves are a wonderful way to do this. If you want to try more techniques (and patterns) check out the great videos here. They are fabulous tools for learning new techniques!

good luck!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just turn and knit your sts again, and turn and knit again. Keep this up for a while to practice the knit st. That makes garter stitche. You can try the purl st and alternate a knit row with a purl row too and that makes stockinette. If this will become a scarf, not just a practice piece, though, the edges will curl under on the stockinette parts, so you might want to work the purl rows as k4, purl 14, k4, to keep the garter st going along the edges and that helps keep them from curling.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Yes, watch the videos...you'll be knitting up lace before you know it!

And yes, turn the work. I didn't know that when I started, so I knitted back across left-handed...for almost twenty years. While it works, it's certainly not the fastest way to handle matters. If you're right-handed, or knitting that way, at the end of a row you have your right needle full of stitches and your left needle empty. Lay down the empty one, put the full needle in your left hand so you're looking at the back of the last row and the needle tip is pointing to your right, pick up the empty needle and have at it again.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
You've gotten lots of great advice so I'll just say welcome to Knitting Help! We have lots of guys here so you are far from alone!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Hey fellow guy-knitter.

It's good to see a few more of you here. Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. I couldn't imagine that it would engulf me this much, really, when I started. But I'm into knitting now.

As for scarves, let me see...

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...ry/scarves.php

This has a lot of scarves, have a look at it, and if you feel up to any of it, just knit it, and don't worry about mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Plus, it makes your knitting more unique.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Never Make Assumptions
Originally Posted by pompeytid1970 View Post
Excuse me ladies (a pretty safe assumption I'm sure), I am interested in learning to knit stuff and was wondering if I could have a few pointers.

Thanks in advance,
Julian

The assumption (that there are only ladies on this site) isn't safe. True we males are under represented in knitting (or crochet) craft when compared to the general population, but that doesn't mean we don't practice the craft. Historically, nearly all children were taught how to knit and crochet before the invention of machines knitting.

This is a great place to ask questions, get answers, and find instructions or videos. There are demo video's on this site for a small complete project that may help with your next step.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Mike
Working the Gusset

I suggest putting down the scarf and doing swatches.
If you hate the thought of wasting time make those swatches out of cotton and call them washcloths.

Your tension and stitch stretching is going to change and it will be noticeable between start and finish by the time you get to the end of a scarf.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
XxavoOo
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome!
Conratulations on picking up knitting!
I suggest you just practice knitting in general before engaging an actual project. Terrible problems can show up as you knit your first thing (dropped stitches, weird tension problems, etc.), and will give a lousy look to your scarf, so I consider knitting either a small piece of cloth or just knitting and undoing random knitting.
XxavoOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
pompeytid1970
Casting On

Wow - big thanks in order
Thank you so much to all have suggested this or that. Apologies Jack, I didn't know so many blokes were on here:(

I will be sure to do some swatches and the whole turning thing, not forgetting tension too

It really is quite therapeutic hey this knitting lark - I guess it forces the mind to slow down after a busy day

Thanks again everyone
pompeytid1970 is offline   Reply With Quote