Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
claire82
Casting On

novice knitter - (inc in next st) help
Hi, i am a novice knitter and have dabbled with little projects like scarfs for my daughter's dolls, but i would like to move on to something more adventurous.
i decided to follow a basic doll pattern, which starts -
cast on 21 sts
1st row - K
2nd row - K1, inc in next st, P to last stitch, inc in next st, K1 (23 sts)

basically i am stuck on the increasing. i have watched youtube videos making it look very simple, and i get the basic idea, but when i get to the last stitch my yarn feels too tight to increase into the last stitch, am i doing something wrong?

any help appreciated
Claire
claire82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To increase in a stitch you knit into the front of it as usual, leave it on the needle, then knit into the back leg of it. In this pattern, you don't increase in the last stitch, but in the one before the last stitch. There's also a video here on the Increases page. Maybe your sts are twisted and that's why they're so tight? Or you just knit tight. Stop that; you don't need to pull the yarn to tighten or even up a stitch, working the next one will do that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
claire82
Casting On

thanks for your reply, but just to check, is it the same on a purl row? as in, would i knit from the front and then the back on a purl row?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Claire, is there anywhere we can look at this pattern? Did you transmit this line to us correctly, exactly as written:
Quote:
2nd row - K1, inc in next st, P to last stitch, inc in next st, K1 (23 sts)
? There is something a bit inconsistent in the way that is written. It says to "P to the last stitch, and then gives directions that really involve 2 more stitches. So something seems amiss.

I don't know what you are making or what further increases may require, but the increase used in this instance doesn't need to be a knit front back or for that matter a purl front back (since it is on a purl row). Another increase might look better. It seems like the idea is to leave a garter stitch (knit every row) border on each side consisting of 1 stitch and then to have an increase so that you end up with 23 stitches. You could use any increase in this type of situation that looks good to you. Check out the increases given in the video section and do some swatches to see what you like. You will probably find an increase that is used on the purl side looks best.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
It says to "P to the last stitch, and then gives directions that really involve 2 more stitches. So something seems amiss.
Whoops, you're right, I overlooked that part. That's probably why she was trying to inc in the last st.... then maybe knit it again.

The purl row would be the same - purl into the front of the stitch, then into the back of it. And not every increase will be the same. Worded this way "inc in the next st" indicates that it needs to be a p or kfb which uses a st for the increase. The other methods add a stitch between sts so substituting one for the other could put the increases in the wrong place.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Worded this way "inc in the next st" indicates that it needs to be a p or kfb which uses a st for the increase. The other methods add a stitch between sts so substituting one for the other could put the increases in the wrong place.
You are right. Worded that way it does indicate to use a kfb or pfb but there is nothing else we have to go on that shows that that is the only inc that would work. There are so many patterns available now that are written by folks that are not professionals but just knitters sharing their patterns. Maybe a k or p fb was all the knitter knew or liked it because it was easy, but it may not be the only thing that will work. It would depend on what else needs to follow if it really matters. It could matter but may not.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
claire82
Casting On

Thanks for your replies, i stopped 'tightening' my yarn between stitches and found that it helped.
i'm not really sure how much of the pattern i could put on here (due to copyright) but i wrote it exactly as it is in the book, and the 4th row is the same, only ending up with 25 sts.
i wasn't aware i could increase using a purl st, so i knitted on the increases and purled the rest, will that matter? it looks ok to me, but as i said before i am a novice.
the pattern is for a basic doll, and the bit i was following was for the head, with the shaping part at the top, so will mostly be hidden by the hair, so it might still look ok, i hope
Thanks
Claire
Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

If it looks okay it will probably be okay. I have found with dolls/stuffed things that you don't want to use any type of inc that makes a hole, even if tiny because when you stuff the item the holes will get bigger. But the kfb doesn't make a hole so it should be all right, if you like the looks of it.