Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
iPad+ Discussion
What do you think about Apple's new iPad? I heard it's making Microsoft nervous!

Anyhoo, it's brand new, but with all of our young techie type knitters at KH, I'm hoping you will have information and opinions to share!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by Jan in CA : 03-27-2011 at 02:11 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I have a lot of tech fan friends and none of us have anything nice to say about it so far.We all WAITED for this thing too.

If you want to pay too much for an over-sized and overpriced iTouch...that's pretty much the only reason to buy it.It is essentially a giant iTouch and that's the only real reason it can double as a kindle.

The thing can't even do multitasking.You can only do one thing at a time.My cell phone has more power and capabilities than this thing.

Doesn't support flash.Doesn't multitask.Not convenient for gaming(cause its big so itouch games don't work as well).No USB transfer for pix and data(you need an adapter because there is no USB port).NO CAMERA??Which means no videos and no video chat(which would have been awesome and almost have redeemed the thing..but it would take a lot more).

Basically..it's what Sony did with the PSPgo. It's a resized version of something that the market had already covered, minus a lot of the details we wanted.

I don't think this thing is going to make anyone nervous except the designers for fear someone will have their heads D: At least they already announced they will re-release a camera version of it.Basically the only pro is that it has a touch screen.If you want to pay 499 for it, don't.Save your money; buy a netbook.Expand the memory from 1gb to 2gb.Buy a snazzy case(or knit it).And a wireless mouse. << this is what I'm doing instead, at least XD
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010), Mirl56 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I agree with meow (nice kitty!) I'm a Mac girl all the way but I can't figure out why anyone would want one. Especially for $499.

I love my iPod touch and my macbook and iMac have me covered for all the rest. I don't need to spend that kind of money for something that doesn't add anything to the mix.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Cool........ just a Large Screen iPod Touch

Downfalls . . . no cd drive, SD card hookup, printing configuration for the price - Starting at 499.

If I were going to buy it for just books as an alternative to the Kindle...I might have to wait and see how it functions more.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belphoebe For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I'm definitely an Apple fan ... I love my iMac and will never go back to PC. When it comes to the iPad though, I think Apple really dropped the ball!

Everyone was excited about the upcoming release of this, but now that details have been released it's a definite disappointment. Apple products tend to be a little expensive when compared to their competitors, but usually they're worth the price ... not so in this case, at least in my opinion. They'll really have to re-work the iPad before I consider buying one!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Everything Old is New Again?
They were called Tablet computers the first time around and they were made by IBM and others.

They didn't do well back then, some 20 years ago. No one (or at least few) remembers them.

They were thicker back then.

Quote:
How do you see in bright light? They are back lit just like your phone.

How do you see while you type? It would be flat on the desk or propped in your lap.

How could you touch type without resting your fingers on the screen? It has a limit of just two points of contact, no matter the pressure on those points.

Those are a few of the unanswered questions I've heard from others that know more about the iPhone and the abilities of touch screens.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
I'm writing this reply on my iPod Touch. It's doable, but I think the iPad would be a lot more pleasant for forum viewing if you really have a choice. Or one of those mini computers.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-31-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I dunno what's up with me, but, I have absolutely no desire for any of that stuff...all the iwhatevers and such...lol...I have a computer and pay as you go cell phone for emergencies and I'm totally content with that...And it's not like I'm too old to appreciate any of it either, I'm only 32! Well, I say only, some of ya may think I'm an old hag...haha...I dunno, maybe it has something to do with my belief the movie Wall-E is coming true...kinda scary, really...lol

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
I'm 57 and I love technology! I'd have all kinds of things if I could afford it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote