Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

OT: Sore Fingers
Help!!! It has been a cold and very dry winter for me. I have been using hand lotions as usual however this year my fingers - just my thumbs and pointer fingers are splitting (in the corners) they have been doing since November- There is not a week that has went by that I do not have a bandaid on at least one if not two of them, they heal and then re-split. They hurt like....... It is like having the most extreme papercut. It also feels like I have glass in my finger tips. I can't even begin to describe the pain if I bump one of them. I just want them to heal and stay healed- It definitely gets in the way of my knitting in addition to anything else I do. I have never experienced this before. I haven't taken the time to go to CVS or somewhere and maybe see if a pharmacist could recommend some over the counter cream or something. I have put lotion after lotion- several differnt kinds- drinking more water. Any remedies, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
newamy
Working the Gusset

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chi...ction=symptoms

Sounds like Chilblains, I don't really know what to do. Read the Mayo clinic link and keep your hands warm and protected. Wear wool gloves!

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I have some weird allergic reaction to newspaper... it has to be the interaction of the ink with the paper, because by themselves they don't bother me... plus I am constantly washing my hands because that's what trained microbiologists do better than anyone else. As a result my nails are dehydrated and heavily ridged and I hesitate to moisturize until bedtime or I go out for a few hours so I am not getting any unwanted oils on to my yarn.

I use gloves for dishes, and cleaning anything and it's saved my hands, quite literally. Touching newspaper causes the skin to bubble up and itch, then it peels away in huge strips and hurts... a lot. I have to be very careful getting the mail because of junk mail circulars. I have to be careful of the yarn I use. And my best advice to you is to moisturize your hands after you get out of the tub or shower, while your hands are still damp from the water and warm enough that your pores are open. Skin So Soft by Avon and Vaseline's Hand and Nail lotion are my go to faves.

See, Mom? I am still using my education even though I no longer work in the field. I am NOT wasting my life.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Someone once told me to use a really thick hand/body cream and wear cotton gloves to bed. Also, my Aunt Deb who is a horse woman one year for Christmas gave me a jar of hoof quencher. I kid you not, that stuff moisturized my hard calloused heels. Try your local farm store or vet. They may carry it. Definitely moisturize with whatever you can find. Hope you feel better soon!
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Abby123
Knitting the Flap

If lotions aren't doing the trick, you might want to try NewSkin. It is like rubber cement. You brush it on & it dries into a coating over the skin. Which gives the skin underneath a chance to heal. Don't use if you have an infection though.
Abby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
My fingers get so sore this time of year and I have such dry skin...I was told to drink more water, lotion, cool mist humidifier, not to get the water soo hot, gloves when washing dishes ...and neosporin for when they crack open.

This year I haven't had as much trouble...so something in the mix is working.

I will say the Neosporin really works on healing them quickly and making them less sore.

Oh and to protect them when I go outside...I make sure the kids have their gloves on and even my husband...but I am so bad about putting them on myself....

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you to all of you. I am going to try everything- I am going to Bed & Bath or somewhere and get the gloves - I am going to probably use my vaseline intensive care lotion (it seems to help more than the others) and I am going to put them on after I take a shower and before I go to bed. I forgot that I have some newskin - i could use it during the day-it would definitely work better than bandaids to type with at work. This is one of those times where I have read or heard of these ideas but just needed to be reminded.
I am looking forward to spring and knitting without wincing in pain every stitch. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Kimbatigger
Ribbing the Cuff

It just so happens that my finger split yesterday right along one of my fingerprint lines. Ouch! My usual intervention remedy is to lather up with vaseline and wear gloves, but lately I have been using Gold Bond Foot Cream for my feet, and it has been working wonders. So I put a dab of the stuff on my fingertip last night, held it in place with my thumb, and voila - this morning my finger feels about 98% better. Last nite it was extremely sensitive and sore and this morning I can scrape at the loose skin with my fingernail. You may want to try the foot cream. After all, if it works on my tough feet it should do wonders for hands.
Kimbatigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
My partner has problems where his feet do the same thing that your fingers are doing because they get so dry.

Here is what he does for his feet, so it stands to reason that this would work on your hands too. He has some avon products for his feet so why not just use foot lotion on your hands.

First he soaks them in as hot a water as he can stand with a little epsom salt. Then right after he applies the Avon Foot Cream, puts on his socks, and sleeps with them on. He's been doing this for about 2 weeks and his feet don't crack anymore. And they are wickedly softer than they were before as well.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Utter balm and cotton gloves!!
Slather your hands and night and sleep with the gloves on.

I also use Mary K Extra Emollient Night cream several times a day on my hands.