Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Hiya Hiya needles
Just wanted to share my recent experience with Hiya Hiya needles.

I wish I'd never bought them. I love that they turn at the join so they don't get all twisted up as you knit; however, because they don't have way to tighten them like my knitpick nickel plated (just ordered the harmony needles for mother's day for myself) needles do I've had them come unscrewed with every single project I've used them for.

The customer service also isn't as good as knipicks. The long cables broke on the very first project I used the Hiya's Hiya's for and the company refused to replace it unless I sent it back first. Not a big deal really except when I had the same thing happen with my knitpicks cable they replaced it no questions asked. I also once had a defective needle sent to me (the part where it screws in to the cable didn't exist ie there was no hole to screw the cable into) and it was also replaced no questions asked. Just a small thing that will keep me using knitpicks and not recommending Hiya Hiya.
JLonier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JLonier For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (04-09-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
roseybee
1st Leg of the Journey

I've never even heard of Hiya Hiya needles.

I have the KP options, and some of my cables have popped out of the silver eands (from when I used to knit too tightly). Would they replace them after three months, do you think?

OTN:
Wonderful Wallaby for Linus' 1st birthday (9/16)

Birchbark shawl (my own design) for my mom's 60th birthday (9/15)
At least one ever-present felted bag
roseybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Knit Picks Options...
Originally Posted by roseybee View Post

I have the KP options, and some of my cables have popped out of the silver eands (from when I used to knit too tightly). Would they replace them after three months, do you think?
Hi!

Knit Picks has, hands down, the BEST customer service of any company I've ever seen. When I bought my nickel plated set I bought the extra cables in 40", 47" and 60". It was nearly a year later when I had some difficulty with some of the longer cables and one of the shorter ones.

I called Knit Picks and within a few days had new cables in my hands. They are wonderful and I'd go to them first for anything I wanted to buy. I've also used quite a few of their yarns, always with great success, especially the Gloss for socks! Just fabulous.

Happy knittng,
Ruthie
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Originally Posted by roseybee View Post

Yes. It's always best to notify them right away if you can though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
nefferbea
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm so glad that I read this thread! I have been debating ordering the Hiya Hiya interchangeables because I love their circulars. I already have the KP options, harmonies and the new acrylic interchangeable sets, so I needed another set like a hole in the head! Guess that I'll keep my money.
nefferbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, my harmonies had a defective needle (wouldn't tighten on the cord just kept turning and turning) and it's already been replaced! They insisted on replacing the defective cord I have as well, without it being returned, but I had already sent it back so I don't know what size it was.

I worked in customer service for 15 years or so (till we started a family, I've been an at home Mom for 13 years now) so when I come across people that know how important it is I really, really appreciate it. Especially in a world that seems to have forgotten what good customer service really is. Think I'm going to send them a very appreciative e-mail.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

The thing I find worrisome is that people need to call KP so often about defective/whack product...umm...are their products cheap/break easily etc?

I'm getting my KP options in a week and a half, and I worry...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
newwooley
1st Leg of the Journey

I have the interchangable set of HH. I had problems from the manufacturer with the 16 and 24" cables coming unscrewed. I sent them back to the store where I purchased them and waited for 2 weeks to get the new ones. The 24" is okay. The 16 inch continues to come unscrewed. I'm not pleased with them at all.

Knitpicks, on the other hand, has the best customer service on the planet, IMHO.

I share your frustration.
newwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm willing to bet they would. E-mail 'em and ask. That's all I've ever done and they always immediately sent replacements.

I sent the broken Hiya Hiya cables back months ago and still have not had them replaced. Considering how much those stupid needles cost you'd think they'd be a bit more responsive. They took forever to ship the needles when I first ordered them too. Should have been my first clue.

On the other hand I ordered the harmony needles last week and they arrived today. Gorgeous, gorgeous set a bit less slick than the nickel plated ones which is nice when you're working with slippery yarn. One of my many ongoing projects is a kimono I'm knitting for myself (first time I've made something that wasn't for a friend/relative/charity) out of a partially silk yarn. It works up very fast on the nickel needles, but they're a bit too slick. Too many frogged rows put the project on hold. I can't wait to try it again with the harmony's.