Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
mhansen
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by divagirl View Post
You can also come work with me...we can knit stuff for each other! You are NOT being cheap. I have no problem knitting anything for anyone who asks, as long as they supply the parts I'll supply the labor.

Did the girl who received the original top offer to pay you for it?
That sounds like fun: knitting at our jobs all day LOL. And no she did not offer to pay for it but it was a spur of the moment thing. She tried it on as a favor because I am not a small (darn) and she liked it so much that I didn't think about it. I just said you can have it.

I'm Knittingmary at Ravelry

If I live to be 200 I will never get all those patterns that I have knitted!
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
mhansen
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by laikabear View Post
I think that's a really good idea, offer to go with them when they buy the yarn so you can help them pick something suitable.

I must say if you are willing to knit 7 of the same top for all your coworkers, you are very generous with your time!
I am going to get up the nerve to have them go shopping to get the yarn. That is alot of tops and I guess that's why I am feeling sorry for myself and whining about it. But it does get expensive. I think I'm being generous with my time too. That's why I think whoever wants the top should pay for the yarn. I do not expect to make one penny off of it. But I don't think I should have to pay for the yarn. Now I just have to muster up courage to tell them. I am too easy going. It's easier for me to vent here than at them.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
mhansen
Turning the Heel

Thank you everyone. I was feeling like I was being cheap by having all these thoughts about who should pay for the yarn.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Binkyman99
Ribbing the Cuff

No, you are not being cheap by any means! I think that people who don't knit have any idea on the cost of yarn etc., and think we can just do it and whip these things out. I have only done scarves, hats, felted bags, afghans, and shawls, and some I give as gifts. But I do have family that say.....oh I want one of them! Depends on the item, but I will give to them. Just wish they would offer something once in a while since all this does add up!

a funny one.......I have a stash of things I have knit up! I had a few of my nieces over and I told them they could pick something out. Well one of them had quite a few things in her overnight bag when I looked! hee hee! I hated to do it, but told her she could only pick ONE thing since I had lots of other nieces (there are 18 neices and nephs)that I would be giving to!
Binkyman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #15
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I don't think you're being cheap at all! I just don't think that people who don't knit (or crochet or sew or do any sort of craft) don't understand the costs involved. They usually think it's less expensive than buying the store bought item. I would do with what everyone else has said. I would say "I'd love to go yarn shopping with you this weekend and help you pick out the bext yarn for the top you want." or something like that.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
Jitendra
Ribbing the Cuff

I had the same problem, but people should be reasonable and expect to pay for the materials and the hard work it takes.

I would really recommend asking for the money up front if they don't want to buy the yarn themselves, and give them a receipt for it. One woman had me make three little knittens for her, for which I charged $10 each, and on the day I brought them in she said "So it's $20, right?" and wouldn't pay a cent more even though she agreed to before. A deposit and receipt certainly will prevent lapses in memory or little mistakes like this. I sound a little bitter, but I think it's true that people who can't knit don't always understand how expensive and time consuming it can be.
Jitendra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jitendra For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-14-2007)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by The.Knitter View Post
So, when you go to start each one, go to the recipient and say "I am ready to start knitting your top now, where do you want to get the yarn and should I come with you when you buy it?"

This might give them the hint that you expect them to pay for the yarn. Your time is yours to give freely, but at least they should pay you for the yarn you will need to knit them a garment.
This is an excellent idea! I never quite know how to approach this especially with someone I don't know well. Thanks for this "script" to use in this situation... now, I'm going to go practice saying it to myself.

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
bip
Turning the Heel

You aren't being cheap by not knitting your co-workers stuff, but - and I wasn't going to say this, but since you brought it up - you are being a bit cheap in not knitting me anything. I mean, I've been on this board, what? One, two years now? And nothing? By now at the very least I would have expected a Malabrigo Irish Hiking scarf (not too short please), or maybe WOTA hat/gloves set. I'm just putting that out there...
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
Jitendra
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
I never quite know how to approach this especially with someone I don't know well.
I've found that the best way to approach it if you feel awkward asking for money (and why should we, last I checked I wasn't running the Make a Wish foundation out of my stash bag), especially for an order from someone you don't really know, is to pretend that you've been knitting stuff for sale for years. People are way less likely to argue about it when you respond to their requests with something like "Of course! Tell me what sort of wool you like and I'll give you an estimate on the price."
Jitendra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jitendra For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-15-2007)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
alleusion
Turning the Heel

I don't think you're being cheap at all. I made some baby booties for a coworker once and I had about 3 other people ask me for some. Two offered to pay me, one didn't. I shrugged it off thinking it was such a small amount of yarn, and one of the women paid me $40 for 4 pairs of booties (I would have only asked for $5 total). So it worked out.

But yeah, can you adopt me and make me things too?

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote