Old 11-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
bunnyslippers
Casting On

Suggestions for Japanese girlfriend?
My brother has invited his new girlfriend and her family to Christmas. She just moved to North America from Japan. I would love to knit her something as a welcome, but I am drawing a blank. She is very elegant and stylish and seems very sweet. I am less-than-elegant and not-at-all-stylish and would appreciate any suggestions you can give.
I would like something fairly simple as I don't have a lot of time (the big jolly deadline is looming). Something functional would also be nice--I don't think that they have very much. My skill level is about intermediate--I can't make pretty seams, but I can follow a lacey pattern.
(My back-up plan is knitty's nagano cherryblossom strand, but it isn't that functional.)
Thank-you in advance for any suggestions--my brain has been thorougly wracked.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
spooky
Knitting the Flap

This is nothing fancy, but it's cute as HECK!!

Knit fortune cats!! LOVES EM!!
http://castadrift.blogspot.com/2005/...t-pattern.html
I have made them before. Made a ton of mistakes, didn't felt em, and they still turn out cute!!!
Here's mine!! See still cute!!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by bunnyslippers View Post
My brother has invited his new girlfriend and her family to Christmas. She just moved to North America from Japan. I would love to knit her something as a welcome, but I am drawing a blank. She is very elegant and stylish and seems very sweet. I am less-than-elegant and not-at-all-stylish and would appreciate any suggestions you can give.
I would like something fairly simple as I don't have a lot of time (the big jolly deadline is looming). Something functional would also be nice--I don't think that they have very much. My skill level is about intermediate--I can't make pretty seams, but I can follow a lacey pattern.
(My back-up plan is knitty's nagano cherryblossom strand, but it isn't that functional.)
Thank-you in advance for any suggestions--my brain has been thorougly wracked.
Truthfully I think the knitty nagano cherry blossom would be a wonderful gift for your brothers girlfriend! I mean it relates to something that may be a reminder to her of home ( at a time where she may be homesick, or feel a little strange) and would probably be quite a meaningful present that not only brings comfort but was well thought out and made with lots of love just for her I say stick with it its very stylish and a great idea

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Arya
Casting On

Hmmm... that's an interesting pattern... It's one of those ones she'll either absolutely love, or... you know... be less-than-thrilled about. You know her best!

If you want to be safe, I'd go for the candle flame scarf. Make it longer than recommended, in a soft and bright yarn, and it goes with everything!
http://www.knitpicks.com/Candle+Flam...D50465221.html

Or maybe...
http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTfetching.html
A little simpler than the scarf - it took me a couple of days for each glove (aka. knitting in the evenings). I wear them everywhere!

Maybe ask your brother for advice...
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Perhaps some slippers? The Japanese take off their shoes everywhere, which wasn't much of an adjustment for me as my mom brought me up to take my shoes off when I enter someone's house and like my host sister, it bothers me when I am told to leave my shoes on. Anyway, something to consider.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
bunnyslippers
Casting On

Thanks!
Those are all great ideas (and some fab stocking stuffer ideas, too). I knew the knitting help crew would come through for me! Now to decide...
Thanks knitters!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Maybe an old-fashioned hand muff? Make it soft and warm. Could even add some colors or design if you're so inclined.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote