Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #21
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

I'm in for this year again. To answer your question from the 2007 stashie thread, environmentally conscious yarn is yarn that is dyed with natural dyes, harvested or raised without pesticides, and processed without harsh chemicals, at least in my opinion. There was a great article about this in Fall Interweav Knits I think. It was all about what is organic yarn. Since environmental concerns play a role in my other purchases, I thought they should play a role in my yarn purchases as well. Socially conscious yarns are those that support social causes I believe in, such as supporting local production of yarn and supporting women's collectives in developing countries that provide these women with a stable source of income to be able to support themselves and their children. Sometimes, those social values are contradictory local v. developing country support, but I think they are both important.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Count me in!
My first goal is to either finish or frog some ufo's ... to make a list on Ravelry and finish or restash one before starting a new project. I am going to organize my stash on Ravelry. I will play match maker and make sure that at I have at least 5 yarns and patterns engaged by January 15th.
Welcome Debbie!

I added you in MY FRIENDS over at the Ravelry Ranch!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by BostonBecca View Post
I'm in for this year again. To answer your question from the 2007 stashie thread, environmentally conscious yarn is yarn that is dyed with natural dyes, harvested or raised without pesticides, and processed without harsh chemicals, at least in my opinion. There was a great article about this in Fall Interweav Knits I think. It was all about what is organic yarn. Since environmental concerns play a role in my other purchases, I thought they should play a role in my yarn purchases as well. Socially conscious yarns are those that support social causes I believe in, such as supporting local production of yarn and supporting women's collectives in developing countries that provide these women with a stable source of income to be able to support themselves and their children. Sometimes, those social values are contradictory local v. developing country support, but I think they are both important.
Gotcha! I appreciate the information!

Have you ever read the book called ARCTIC LACE?
(Arctic Lace: Knitting Projects and Stories Inspired by Alaska's Native Knitters)

It is about Alaska's Native Knitters, who knit with qiviut yarn. The fibre is harvested from a small herd of Musk Ox in Palmer, AK. The co-op is located in Anchorage, AK. The co-op supplies yarn to Native Alaskan knitters only. When the knitter turns in a project, she is paid and is sent more yarn.

The yarn is not dyed unnatural colors.

Anyway, the book is well worth reading! There are patterns in the book, although the Native Alaskan patterns are the secret of the individual native knitter.

HERE is a direct link for the book on Amazon.

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #24
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Firey Vixxen View Post
"How much more of this knitting carp do you have?"
Knitting Carp! How do you knit a carp?

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #25
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

1) write up a batch of yarn on a 3x5 card, let's say PINK card
2) write up an appropriate pattern for it on another 3x5 card, let's say a BLUE card
3) paperclip them together
4) put them in a recipe file box under the month that you think you want to knit the project

The reason the pattern and the yarn are on separate cards is this: They are only "engaged to be married".
I love this idea!! Sometimes I'll look at some yarn and think "this would make a nice (blah)" but a few months later I'll look at it again and think, "Now what was it I was going to do with this?"

I've decided that I am going to take the majority of the yarn that I have and freecycle it. This would be for all that yarn that I just have stashed in a box with no organization. About 2 months ago I divided all my yarn up into "junk yarn" (that which was either cheap (Caron acrylic) or left over bits) and "usable yarn" (that which I thought I could use for a project of some sort) Now I need to give myself permission to get rid of most of the "junk yarn"

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome

Last edited by knitncook : 11-24-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #26
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitncook View Post
Knitting Carp! How do you knit a carp?
Rearange the fishie's scales and you'll get the actual word, but I didn't want to offend anyone by swearing.
and feel free to send any of your rubbish yarn to me. I have decided to use up (and free) a whole lot of scrap yarn in a quilt. the squares will each be random. I'm calling it a "chaos quilt". If it looks really bad, it's still functional an the yarn was just going to be tossed anyway. and I can give it to my sister as Payback.
Now if I can just be good enough to get started, without getting more yarn. and I still have to finish my Xmas Knitting.
I can resist anything except temptation.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #27
mamahoov
Ribbing the Cuff

Fabulous idea (clipping index cards together)!! Brilliant!!! I have sooo much to do today but I think I will play with yarn instead! {wink}
amy in ne

amy in ne
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #28
mamahoov
Ribbing the Cuff

I'M IN!!!!
I have sooo much stash. DH was laughing because I cleared out my bottom dresser drawer for sock yarn...he doesn't know the half of it
My goal: to use/donate or otherwise get rid of 5 pounds net(-stuff in counts against me) of yarn.
I knit and crochet and the crochet is sometimes little things using only an ounce or two but it all adds up, right?!
And I hadn't thought of using the Ravelry stash folder...as daunting as it seems I think I will start eating that elephant and start entering yarn.
Great idea...much needed here! Thanks!
amy in ne

amy in ne
Old 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by mamahoov View Post
I'M IN!!!!
I have sooo much stash. DH was laughing because I cleared out my bottom dresser drawer for sock yarn...he doesn't know the half of it
My goal: to use/donate or otherwise get rid of 5 pounds net(-stuff in counts against me) of yarn.
I knit and crochet and the crochet is sometimes little things using only an ounce or two but it all adds up, right?!
And I hadn't thought of using the Ravelry stash folder...as daunting as it seems I think I will start eating that elephant and start entering yarn.
Great idea...much needed here! Thanks!
amy in ne
Hi Amy in NE! That is where I started...just entered yarn in my Ravelry stash folder. Good place to start. Nice to see it all in one place! What is your handle on Ravelry? I will enter you in MY FRIENDS!

Welcome aboard the Stash Train!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #30
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
I am jumping on the train!

My goals -

1. Decrease the stash
2. Decrease the ideas I want to make (1 and 2 go hand in hand).
3. Move forward with the gift ideas I have stashed away (clogs, felted wine cozies, etc.)
4. If it really is an orphan, get rid of it on de-stash or ravelry.

I would love to NOT buy any new yarn but lets face it, that isn't realistic, is it! So I need to come up with a reasonable reward for myself!

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
Closed Thread