Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Anybody familiar with this pattern?
Has anyone made this Father/Daughter Hat pattern? If so, do you think it will fit a 24.5" head? My DB has a rather big head (and I mean that literally, not figuratively) and wants a nice, snug, non-pointy "manly looking" hat. This pattern seems to fit the bill but it doesn't specify the head circumferences it fits. I was thinking that if it is close (say it fits 23.5" or 24"), I could make it on larger needles to cover the difference. BTW, is 24.5" as unusual as I think it is (even for a 6' 3" 220 lb guy)??

Any help/input or recommendations for another pattern to try will be appreciated.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I dunno if his head is bigger than normal, maybe, but they come in all sizes and shapes. And yes use larger needles; regular size with worsted weight is 8, and I've found the larger the needle, the stretchier it makes things. That should give you at least an inch more. You might also want to knit an inch or two more before you start the decreases too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (12-01-2007)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

i am sooo glad you posted this. my brother is 6'3" and has a head slightly smaller than my dad's which is 24 5/8". i can't measure my brother's head because he's on okinawa. i got 7" into this hat when i discovered that my dad couldn't even get it on his head! i've been trying to decide what to do. i've almost settled on hot head from one of the s 'n b books, but i'll want to add 4/8 sts to make sure it's big enough. i never thought it would be this hard to knit him a simple hat!
i'm definitely watching this thread.

eta: so yet again i've remembered wrong. my dad's is 23 3/4", which means my brother is probably 23 1/2". i just found this new pattern on ravelry. (non-ravelry link) it was originally knit for a 23" head on sz 7s. would going up to 8s make much of a difference? i think i may swatch it to see. i'm using KPs swish worsted, and i'm discovering it's not as heavy as most worsteds i've used. i don't really have that much time to play around with it, so i'd better get started. i'm sure you could knit it longer (a lot longer) so you could fold it over the ears. i still have to decide if i want to knit it longer. i'm thinking i may not have time now.

eta (again): i just found this one that says it fits a 20-24" head. i actually think my brother will like the ribbing on this one more. the pattern calls for sz 6. i'll go up to a 7 or 8 just to be safe. i'll swatch first, then decide. i know i've spent way more planning this thing than i will actually it, but it's totally worth it. my brother's amazing.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Last edited by Lady Violet : 11-30-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Violet For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Going up one needle size might make a slightly larger hat over 80-100 sts. The only thing to do is try it out. Hats are fast - you can start one and get several inches done to the point you can get an accurate measure in just a few hours.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
yarnrainbow (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
Try here
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momwolf For This Useful Post:
Lady Violet (12-01-2007), yarnrainbow (12-01-2007)
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks everyone for the help.

Momwolf...the link is great!