Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Lipanj
Casting On

New Help with Directions
Hello,

Looking around for a knitting forum and found this great site this morning. Just started knitting again and forgot how much I love it....but not the best or experienced knitter. Thought I would try to make a knitted felted bag and ran into a problem. This is the pattern I found on the internet (http://home.howstuffworks.com/free-p...-patterns2.htm). I have made the two handles last knit, but now when it comes to starting the body, I'm so confused. I start with the second handle and then cast on 10 stitches, but there after forget it. Not sure where to go from there...it doesn't seem to work out for me.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I look forward to being part of this community.

--Lipanj

__________________________________________________ _____
Notes: Instructions are written for large bag; numbers for small bag are in brackets. All pieces are worked holding 2 strands of yarn together.

Make the Handles

Holding 2 strands of color A together as 1, cast on 10 stitches. Work in stockinette stitch for 64 [30] rows. Cut yarn, leaving a 4" (10cm) tail; slip stitches onto holder. Pick up 10 stitches at cast-on edge, and work in stockinette stitch for 64 [30] rows. Cut yarn, leaving a 4" (10cm) tail; slip stitches onto another holder.

Repeat to make the second handle, except do not cut the yarn in the last step. Leave those stitches on needle. You will have 2 knitted strips with live stitches on both sides.

Make the Bag Body

Attach the handle: Using the second handle with 10 stitches and the working yarn (color A) attached, use the cable cast-on method to cast on 10 [8] stitches in front of the stitches on the needle. (20 [18] stitches)

Fold the knit strip in half to create the handle. Transfer 10 stitches from stitch holder onto working needle; knit across these stitches (30 [28] stitches). Cast on 26 [22] stitches using the cable cast-on method, and then knit across 10 stitches from first handle (66 [56] stitches). Cast on 10 [8] stitches in front of these stitches, knit across second set of 10 stitches from first handle, and then cast on 26 [22] stitches using the cable cast-on (112 [100] stitches). Join work into a circle, taking care not to twist stitches. Place stitch marker in front of first stitch worked to indicate beginning of round.

Rounds 1, 3, 5, and 7: Purl.
Rounds 2, 4, 6, and 8: Knit.
Round 9: Knit until 13 [11] stitches before the marker. Place second stitch marker (use another color to distinguish from first marker). The second marker will indicate beginning of round for color changes. Cut yarn, leaving 4" (10cm) tail to weave in later.

Create color sequence: For large bag, work [9 rounds color B, 9 rounds color A] 4 times (72 rounds). For small bag, holding 1 strand color A and 1 strand color B together as 1, knit 11 rounds. With 2 strands color B held together as 1, knit 11 rounds. Change to 1 strand A and 1 strand B held together, and knit 11 rounds. Using 2 strands B, knit 4 rounds.

Make the Bag Base

Knit 8 [8] stitches past second marker, then bind off 40 [34] stitches. Knit across next 16 stitches, place them on holder, bind off 40 [34] stitches, then knit across 16 stitches remaining on needle. Work 35 [27] rows in stockinette stitch. Bind off.

Place stitches from holder back on needle, and rejoin yarn. Work 36 [28] rows in stockinette stitch. Bind off.

Finishing

Thread tapestry needle with 18" (46cm) strand of yarn, and seam center of base together using mattress stitch. Rethread yarn as necessary. Starting in middle of bag base, whipstitch bound-off edges from bag body to base sides. Base piece will be slightly longer and will need to be eased to the sides (knitted fabric shrinks more lengthwise). Weave in all loose ends to wrong side of bag.

Felt the bag.
Lipanj is offline   Reply With Quote