Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

Sweaters
So...my boyfriend just gave me a $200 shopping spree for my birthday. Of course, some of this has to go to yarn...so I'm going to make a sweater! The question is....is making a sweater in a wool that is not superwash worth it?
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
bip
Turning the Heel

Yes! You have a lot more yarn choices in non-superwash, that is for sure. I hate, hate, hate taking care of clothes. We have a cleaning lady who does our laundry, that's how much I hate doing the wash (in my defense, our condo doesn't allow washer/dryers in the units, so it is a lot more of a pain than in a regular house). The upshot is that I *DO* still have to do the handwash/dry cleaning myself. I haven't minded taking care of my hand knit sweaters a bit. First, I always wear something underneath so I don't have to wash them every single time I wear them. Then I usually Dryell them several times before they need to be actually washed. I'm not actually sure they ever really need to be washed, but I just have this conviction that at some point they need real soap and water. If I didn't wash them, I would send o the dry cleaners, but I've heard of sweaters coming back felted. If the sweater is going to get ruined during cleaning, I'd rather it be *me* that did it!

Drying is kind of a pain because our place is small and lacks a nice, out-of-the-way flat suface.

Anyway, this is the opinion of the laziest person on this entire bb when it comes to washing/taking care of things, so I say go for it!
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Definitely. I live in a cold climate and like the outdoors, so wool and alpaca etc are nice and warm. I usually wash my sweaters no more than twice a winter. Like bip I wear a t shirt under my heavy sweaters. I also have an armoire full of sweaters and can air them out and rotate the wearing. I just wash in my bathroom sink with Woolite and I have a couple of sweater racks from KMart that straddle my bathtub, so I can lay them out to dry.
I don't have any sweaters that I machine wash. After all that work I'm afraid to trust them to a machine.