Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

When you get older you will see this stuff is not worth the angst we get from it.

If they are happy and free to be available to each other that's all that matters. Celebrate their happiness with them.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
Lindsey H (12-20-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
cftwo
Working the Gusset

How wonderful for them! Am I correct in guessing that they essentially met through you and your DH? I know it feels odd, but I wouldn't take away from them the joy of wanting to share their special happy news on Christmas. If they're good for each other, give them your blessing (if they want it) and wish them well.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Lindsey H (12-20-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I understand where you are coming from. If my mom wanted to marry dh's dad (or his mom wanted to marry my dad)...well, ew!!!!! It would kind of freak me out. I understand that they aren't related to each other, but my dh and I are...and so the whole thing would FEEL weird!!!!

That said...I don't think you can really expect them to deny their own happiness just because it makes you feel weird. They aren't having an affair, they aren't marrying someone much younger than them...Try to come to terms with this new development, and even in your freaking out moments, try to be happy that your parents have found a way to be happy. When you really love someone, their happiness becomes more important to you than your own.

Of course, it's not my parents, so it's easy for me to say all of that! Good luck!

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msoebel For This Useful Post:
Lindsey H (12-20-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
letah75
Working the Gusset

Awww, if they're happy.....then focus on their happiness. Not to say that it won't feel wierd for a little while.

My FH's aunt is married, his sister married her uncle's brother, and his other sister is dating his other brother.....it's wierd and hard to keep track of whose who, and I've known the family for 23 years. lol.

My neighbor growing up, his dad married two sisters (not at the same time) so the brothers were 1/2 brothers and first cousins. After the second divorce, dad married the first cousin of the two moms...needless to say, family reunions were a bit awakard.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
Lindsey H (12-20-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #15
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by letah75 View Post
Awww, if they're happy.....then focus on their happiness. Not to say that it won't feel wierd for a little while.

My FH's aunt is married, his sister married her uncle's brother, and his other sister is dating his other brother.....it's wierd and hard to keep track of whose who, and I've known the family for 23 years. lol.

My neighbor growing up, his dad married two sisters (not at the same time) so the brothers were 1/2 brothers and first cousins. After the second divorce, dad married the first cousin of the two moms...needless to say, family reunions were a bit awakard.

I'm sorry but for the life of me I can't figure out what "FH's" means!!! And it's driving me nuts Help!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Sharly
Turning the Heel

I think FH=Future Husband...

I agree with many others here...try to be happy for them!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #17
letah75
Working the Gusset

yup, FH=future husband.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Lindsey,

This is just my opinion, but I think you are COMPLETELY entitled to feel the way you do. I would feel the same way no matter how happy my mom was. The fact is, is that this affects you, and you are having a tough time with it. That is perfectly natural.

I know most of the posts have said, just leave it alone if your moms happy then let her be happy. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with all of that. Sure, eventually you will come to terms with it, but it is a strange situation, I'm sure anyone (minus AL and KY folks ) would feel the same way you feel. Of course some woudn't admit it, but they would. It is completely natural. So don't feel badly for how you are reacting to it. Just keep talking about it, openly. That's the only way to get through things. Talk. Talk. Talk. If you don't, then things will fester. Trust me, that was my life growing up, just be quiet Cathy, they would say. I was shushed my whole life.

Keep the lines of communication open. Can you tell your mom how you are feeling? Can you talk to her in private without getting her on the defensive?

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this situation, it's tough. Many to you.
Lindsey H (12-20-2007)
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by letah75 View Post
yup, FH=future husband.

Oh, bless you!! I can be at peace now.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
I'm sure anyone (minus AL and KY folks ) would feel the same way you feel.
Hey! I haven't been married to a relative since my 3rd husband!

Just kidding - I'm not offended...it's all in good fun...right? (And, I'm married to my one and only dh, and we aren't related at all!)

Last edited by Sharly : 12-19-2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: For clarification
Sharly is offline   Reply With Quote