Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #21
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
while i'm not surprised (dh and i were talking after seeing it on our local news station that her mother's book on parenting has also been suspended indefinately... i told dh "i really miss good idea/bad idea on animaniacs"... dh goes: "Good idea: Lynn Spears reading a book on parenting. Bad idea: lynn spears WRITING a book on parenting.") i did shake my head. I have seen how hard it's been for my oldest stepson (He has a little girl that will be 4.. his girlfriend got pregnant when he was 17/almost 18. she supposedly claims to have been 17 which is the age of consent in NY and was only 15... neither graduated high school, he works 2-3 jobs to support his kid and she has no clue what she's doing..) I was also a teenage mom (i was 18 when i got pg... i was on the pill, dh used condoms... dh was 32 at the time.. second time we concieved it was TWINS.. i was also on the pill and dh used a condom again).

Frankly i think the whole family needs to take advantage of councelling and i really hope that Jamie Spears takes some parenting classes before the little one arrives.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #22
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by PaperGirl View Post
*my fingers are crossed for Miley Cyrus and Hilary Duff. Out of pretty much ALL the tween/young Hollywood starlets...those 2 are the only ones left that I actually have any kind of respect for*
Hilary Duff was living with her 24 year old boyfriend before her 17th birthday.

Sorry.

I think that most young starlets in Hollywood (and I assume all) are having sex with their significant others...Jamie Lynn just got "caught". You tend to do what others are doing...because it becomes a "norm".

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #23
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
It's a serious issue with teens in general. One of my daughter's friends was talking to me one day, and she said that many of the girls her age and younger are having sex. We're talking first and second year high school students.

I worked at a middle school for three years. The SRO told me that he caught a bunch of kids who had been leaving school and going to someone's house to have sex. Whole groups of kids...caught with their pants down, so to speak. One student was pregnant with her second child, and she was in eighth grade.

As a parent, I do not apologize for being strict with my children. I'm teaching them my reasons behind it, and they understand it in their minds. I try to explain that when they get in certain situations, their hormones will wage a major battle with their brains. Why allow them to put themselves in those situations to begin with -- when they aren't mature enough to make the right decisions.

Too many parents are letting their children "make their own mistakes" and take a hands-off approach when they hit a certain age. Not me...and I do not care if my kids (name dd) get mad and cry. Sometimes "no" simply means "no." Period.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #24
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
it's not just high and middle schools... my sons came home from school last year and asked me what sex was (they were in first and third grade). They'd overheard some of the older kids talking about it (5th grade). something i definately DID NOT expect (i told them it was what married moms and dads did to have babies and if they didn't want babies then they didn't have sex). We're not uptight about the human body and bodily functions at all around here, but my kids (now 7 and 9) do not need to know any details.

I'm also a "mean mom". i HAVE TO have the phone numbers, names, locations, times, etc when the boys go out... hence why their friends are allowed to come here and i let them take over the livingroom (big screen tv, dvd player, surround sound, video game systems, etc... the boys just tell their friends to bring something to contribute to the snacks). there's always an adult here for supervision (not to mention my BIL, MIL and FIL all live less than 2 blocks away). the problem these days is that most parents dont' know how to parent (most my age anyway) because their own parents were too busy trying to be their friends.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I think it's laziness. It takes a lot of work to actively parent your children. And it's mind numbing to have to listen to kids gripe when you say no.

I still go in and meet parents when I drop my almost 16 yo dd off at parties (normal get-togethers...with parents present at all times, mind you). I give my cell phone number to the parents just in case something happens. They always look shocked when I do this. Obviously, it's not normal.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #26
starburst
Knitting the Flap

When I was in high school, my mom and one of my best friend's moms formed "The Parental Pact." It's been a running joke since the 9th grade that if we ever did anything wrong, the parental police would take us in to the station. I always found it funny because my friend and I were really quiet and shy, so they really didn't have a lot to fear. I knew that if I ever went anywhere with Kat, my mom would check in with the parents of our friends to make sure we were ok and so would Kat's mom. I also knew that I couldn't talk to my mom about Kat because my mom would report immediately to Kat's mom(and her mom was borderline psychotic controlling, so eventually my mom stopped passing on information too). It wasn't bad or even annoying on my end but it was hiiiighly embarassing. Whatever, we survived high school haha
Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

There is a small part of me that has to wonder if this girl got pregnant subconciously/on purpose, so she wouldn't have a career and be in the spotlight and she could go back home and live a normal life? I mean it kind of makes sense to me, seeing how her mother seems to be quite the stage mother and her sister is quite the train wreck.

Something that bothers me about this, though, is the fact that this girl's mother and her went to a tabloid and sold the rights to the first baby pictures? That says quite a lot about Lynne Spears' priorities. If I had a 16 year old daughter, believe me, profiting off my 16 year old daughter's pregnancy would be the last thing to cross my mind.

If any good comes out of this, I really, really hope that it gives some kids pause and makes them think about the consequences of their actions and that they need to be responsible for their actions, because if it can happen to her, it can happen to them, too.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 AM   #28
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

I have to say, I find a lot of these responses extremely rude and judgmental. Perhaps this isn't an ideal situation, but it isn't this huge horrible thing. And it's not really our business, much less our business to pass judgment.

I'm disappointed to see this here.

OTN: Evangeline, Criss-cross cable scarf, Cabled sweater, Malabrigo drop stitch scarf
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironmaiden For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (01-08-2008)
Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #29
SnarfyCat
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to SnarfyCat
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
eh.. not surprised.
*falls on floor laughing*
My sentiments exactly!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #30
Sandi
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Sandi
NOT SURPRISED AT ALL!! Only that it took this long.....
The girl isn't old enough to have had "a long term" boyfriend for starters.
First clue her parents are crazy! They let her move in with her boyfriend at 15. But then on second thought, boyfriend or parents, considering who the parents are,I may lean towards the boyfriend.
The best thing Jamie could do is get away from those crazies and lead her own life. It can't possibly be any worse than her sisters.
And what stupid editor, at a Christian publishing house, no less ever thought Lynn Spears was qualified to write a parenting book.
In this day and age there is to me no reason for anyone to be getting pregnant without wanting to. Accidents do happen, but I don't think they happen as often as some would like others to believe
Brittney should be forced into a nut house, her kids taken away until she proves that she has dug her head out of her *ss, and put some underwear on.
I'm sure some won't agree, but then I guess what free speech is all about......

Merry Christmas everyone!
Always a pair of Socks!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote