Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Knitting from a skein vs a ball
I was informed one should wind a skein of yarn into a ball before using the yarn. Any suggestions from you knitters as to whether this is a fact or not? I do have a ball winder I purchased that works fine but if it is necessary won't go to the trouble. Oh, also have a container purchased from Jo-Ann's to hold my yarn, has a hole in the top so the yarn does not tangle so would this be sufficient? I am pretty new at this and so far have only used yarn in balls. Thanks for any suggestions and wish each and everyone of you a wonderful Christmas, much Health and Happiness in the New Year.

Wanda
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

I personally just knit from the skein because that is how I was taught. I too have one of those containers but I rarely use it because it's kind of a pain if you do get a tangle, it can be hard to undo. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions about this and I am eager to know what others think! Great question!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lelvsdgs For This Useful Post:
Wanda Witch (12-24-2007)
Old 12-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Although I've not rewound yarn from skein to ball, many do it just in case there is a spot where the manufacturer may have tied off the yarn. Sometimes there's a break in cones or whatever they skein their product from and many people encounter a knotted area. Dont' what to find that in the middle of a row! This way you can cut the knot and start a new ball.
Wanda Witch (12-24-2007)
Old 12-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I knit from a skein, don't see the need to rewind. I've very seldom encountered knots in the yarn, and I would knot in the middle of the row anyway.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Wanda Witch (12-24-2007)
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I knit from a skein, don't see the need to rewind. I've very seldom encountered knots in the yarn, and I would knot in the middle of the row anyway.
Since I will only be using one skein of the yarn in question, hopefully there won't be a problem. Easier to just 'get at' the project and enjoy. Thanks for the suggestions.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post

Yeah that.

If I use more than 3/4 of a skein and then don't need the rest for anything anytime soon I hand wind it into a ball so it won't get tangled. I like skeins because they don't roll around. I've never used yarn from a ball winder, they're flat on the side, aren't they?

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yeah, leftover or unraveled yarn gets put into a ball just to keep it together. But first time out.... leave it in the skein.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #8
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Hiya Wanda n welcome to the party!
As far as I know, there are two different kinds of skeins, one is the twisted skein which a lot of gourmet yarn comes in and the pull skeins which a lot of good ol' redheart and lion brand come in. I personally, wind the twisted skeins but just pull from the middle on the pull skeins. Didn't know that one could just forego the whole wrapping the twisted skeins into a ball n all that stuff!! whoda thunkit!!

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

With the twisted skeins especially I would think it would depend on the type of yarn and how you were treating it in between knitting sessions.

On some types of yarn, the little fibers will 'grab' each other a bit. I've noticed when winding them into balls (no ball-winder, alas) I have to be a bit careful. If I'm not paying attention, two adjacent strands will grab each other and pull the whole skein out of alignment. A snarl has often been the result.

In between knitting sessions, I have a habit of just scooping things up and dumping them somewhere safe. I always make sure the stitches on the needles are secure, but then the whole mess just goes away somewhere until I'm ready for it again. A yarn ball is not a problem, it basically can't tangle. I would think I would need to be much more careful with storing the skein flat, untwisted...in a way where nothing could rub up against it thereby twisting it. NOT my oftentimes favorite place, the bottom of my backpack with other stuff on top!

Vic
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

The twisted skeins are also called hanks and you do absolutely have to wind those in a ball or you end up with several hundred yards of tangled mess. There's a thread in here somewhere posted in the last week about someone who didn't wind. I figured we were talking about already wound skeins...