Old 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
The Knitting Diet Challenge/KAL
I used to be a svelt size 4 before I had two children. Now, I'm a whopping size 14 and SICK of it! I need to lose 50#. My goal is to lose 1 pound a week. I plan to do it with the help of WW and knitting.

So here's the deal:

To join, you have to pledge the following:
1.) To work on an UFO at least 1/2 hour each day
2.) To pick up an UFO instead of nibbling
3.) To decrease your stash along with your weight
4.) To post pics of your FOs
5.) To share your joys and frustrations whether weight or yarn
6.) To share links to free patterns you are working on that are terrific!

There will not be a set project or set sign up date. Who's with me?!

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitpurlgurl For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (02-05-2008), eladine (12-31-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in. Just posted in the other section but will add...

I have 100 lbs to lose but will start with 1-2 lbs a week and exercise. I will post my UFO's tomorrow after taking pics.

Thanks for the KAL - it will be a tremendous help.

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Kels Joy.
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Kels Joy.
count me in!

KelsJoy on ravelry !

my NEW knitting blog
Kels Joy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Spikey
Turning the Heel

I'm in! I am very inspired by Shandeh's terrific 30lb weight loss on her low carb diet.
I would like to lose 20lbs and finish my lace shawl. It keeps getting put to the bottom of the WIP pile...
Thanks for starting this, Knitpurlgurl!!
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
alleusion
Turning the Heel

What's funny, is I remarked to my DH tonight that knitting kept me from munching.

I'm joining this, but in a modified way. Because, as we know, being pregnant, is NOT the time to go on a diet. However, I'm at the point in my pregnancy where all I want to do is eat! And not always good things either. See, Emily wants me to eat every 2-4 hours. If I don't, she makes me nauseous and I start gagging. It's not pretty. But, if I'm bored, I tend to get snacky. So tonight, I started a new sock pattern. It's a little lacy and a bit complicated. Before I knew it, 2 hours had gone by and it was really time to eat.

Here's a little about myself, and why I'm obsessed with my weight, even though I'm not supposed to be....

In high school, I was never tiny. I stopped growing at 5'9", and graduated high school around 175 lbs. I also graduated pregnant, although I didn't know it. I gained almost 50 lbs with that baby and lost all but 5. Of course I gained it back and got pregnant again. That pregnancy only netted me 11 lbs, which after my son's birth, was gone and then some.

Long story short, up until 2 years ago, I topped the scales at 300 lbs. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery in Oct 05 (took my knitting with me to the hospital too). I lost 158 lbs total. This past July, after finding out I was pregnant again, I lost 10 more pounds due to the nausea and just plain feeling icky (included in the 158 total ). So far with this baby I've gained about 10-15 pounds...perfectly normal. However, I'm terrified of gaining too much and not being able to lose it.

So...I'm going to watch what I put in my mouth and when it goes in there. If it's not feeding time, it's knitting time.

I hope that even while pregnant, I can be part of this..../beg

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

I'm in! I had similar ideas...here's my yarny fitness plan.
I set goals each week. Right now they are 8 servings of water & 30 minutes of exercise each day.
I cannot go to my weekly knit meet until I've worked out and had a healthy meal (no eating at Starbucks).
I reward consistency with non food items. I put star stickers on my wall calendar for each goal I met ever day. Something splurgy and small like a manicure, hair cut, spa visit and all the girlie stuff I never do.
I reward pounds lost with knitty/spinny stuff.
So far I've lost 6 pounds and that was during the holidays!! What a miracle.
Healthy tip I have learned recently: Drink lots of water, even flavored water like Crystal light. Your body holds on to water if it does not get a steady supply because it is trained into thinking it will not get water soon. Once you retrain it, it will get rid of the excess water it has been storing. Also, lack of water slows your metabolism. Your liver doesn't function properly and stores fat instead of processing it. I have started drinking two servings of water first thing in the AM. Juices, colas, coffee, and such do not count as water. They contain ingredients which can aid in water retention. Plus they contain significant calories. Don't drink your calories.
I hope that helps someone.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liliyarn For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (01-02-2008), kaytee (01-09-2008), MFuentes (01-03-2008)
Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #7
mom2hancj
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm in!!! I need to reduce my stash and my waistline. I don't have many UFO right now but I do have a huge stash that needs to be worked up into something.

I too want to begin eating healthier and exercising regularly. This will be a fun challenge to work on both at the same time
mom2hancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Dark Hippy
Casting On

This sounds like a great idea. Count me in! I have my own little reasons for wanting to lose weight- I'm getting married in October on the twenty sixth! My family (everyone minus one brother and an aunt) died over the last year, and needless to say it left me a little depressed. So I gained weight. I think dieting with other people (and being rewarded with knitting stuff, not food) will help me actually stay consistant. I shall happily begin tomorrow!
I iz DarkHippy on Rah-vul-ree. Add me!
Dark Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
psquidy
Turning the Heel

This is great. I'm starting right now. So far so good. I think i'll do weigh ins on Mondays an see how i'm doing. Anyone want to do a Monday weigh in and report with me? Track our progress? We can do it everyone!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!! Only problem I have is the pics part....don't know how to post pics.
Don't know when I'm going to fit everything in - 11 hour work days, 30 min. exercise, fixing a meal, knitting, laundry........ah well, where there's a will, there's a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I need to lose 65 pounds. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing how that stuff creeps on a year at a time.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote