Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

Is $25.00 per class too much?
My snb buddies and I did a yarn crawl today and I found an AWESOME yarn store with a VERY COOL class...it's an aran technique class. You come once a month and each month you learn a different technique and knit a square using it. It goes for 12 months and when you finish, you put the squares together for an heirloom blanket. They had samples of all 12 squares and it was absolutely beautiful!!! Then I found out it's $25.00 per class (silly me, at first I thought it was $25.00 for all classes!!! I knew that sounded too good to be true...). I would really like to do it but it seems a little pricey. They don't provide the materials and you have to purchase them at their store--they give you several yarn choices in the right weight/color. If I've done my math correctly, that's $300.00 not including the yarn...

My thoughts were that it would be an awesome Christmas present for my parents. The shop owner said that near the end they "speed up" a little for those who want to finish a little early in time for Christmas.

Last edited by Cristy : 01-03-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Cristy View Post
My snb buddies and I did a yarn crawl today and I found an AWESOME yarn store with a VERY COOL class...it's an aran technique class. You come once a month and each month you learn a different technique and knit a square using it. It goes for 12 months and when you finish, you put the squares together for an heirloom blanket. They had samples of all 12 squares and it was absolutely beautiful!!! Then I found out it's $25.00 per class (silly me, at first I thought it was $25.00 for all classes!!! I knew that sounded too good to be true...). I would really like to do it but it seems a little pricey. They don't provide the materials and you have to purchase them at their store--they give you several yarn choices in the right weight/color. If I've done my math correctly, that's $300.00 not including the yarn...

My thoughts were that it would be an awesome Christmas present for my parents. The shop owner said that near the end they "speed up" a little for those who want to finish a little early in time for Christmas.
OK, I get that it's $25 for each class, but how long is the class? If it's for the whole month, some people might not think it's too bad. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a class - especially if no materials are provided. I know I'm from a small town, but I've never heard of a class costing $300!!!!!!!! Way back when I took my knitting class, it was $15 or $20, and that was for one night a week for 6 weeks. Materials weren't provided, either, but we purchased them at a very good discount as a side perk for taking the class. These ladies will still, if you buy the yarn at their shop, let you come in and sit and knit and will help you with any problems you might have. I haven't been able to take any of their other classes, but I know they are nowhere near the price you're talking about, and I'm sure their service is every bit as good or better. I think you can find a better deal - if not at a store, from an experienced knitter who would teach you the same techniques for a lot better price.
JMHO.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miccisue For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-03-2008)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
gal51
Ribbing the Cuff

You're not near me, but at a store near me in Duluth this is what they do:

Learn a variety of stitches and techniques while creating a unique Afghan a block at a time. Each quarter is $15, plus purchase of book and first skein of Cascade Yarn. Come the next month with completed block(s) get instructions for next block(s) get 15% off purchase of next skein. Miss a month & pay full price for skein to get back on track. Average cost of Cascade is $7/skein. Third Tues. 6P or Wed. 10A, start 1/15 or 1/16.

I hope this helps you ... theirs is $15/quarter, as you can see ...

Pursuing More Than Purls (My Blog)

I like making a piece of string into something I can wear. ~Author Unknown

Happy Wife to Brandon, Mama to Lydia (7) and Grace (2) -- my inspiration

I'm PursuingPurls on Ravelry
gal51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gal51 For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-03-2008)
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Cristy
Instepping Out

Clarification--it's $25.00 per class--the class is two hours long and it meets once a month. So you pay the $25.00 each month when you come to class.
I've thought about it a couple of ways. I don't think it sounds like a lot if you look at it as you are getting a two-hour semi-private lesson for $25.00. It's just that it would take 12 of those classes to complete the whole project I'd be working on (and a year!!!).
When you think of it as a $300.00+ afghan that takes a year to make--it seems like a lot. Especially when this knitting shop is 45 miles from my house.
Duluth actually isn't that bad--it's probably slightly closer than Kennesaw. I live in Stockbridge which is in Henry County--below Jonesboro but just above McDonough. I'm about 25 miles south of Turner Field. What is the name of the Duluth yarn store...I may actually look into that...Thanks for the info gal--by quarter--you mean each quarter of the afghan? So if I understand--it takes 4 months to complete? That might fit my adhd a little better LOL!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Cristy
Instepping Out

• bump

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
alleusion
Turning the Heel

If they were asking for the $300 up front, I'd say it was too much. But $25 a month seems okay to me. I know most LYS charge around $100 for a month of classes (generally one a week) so it works out to around the same amount.

And with them charging you only once a month, and for the classes you attend, it seems you don't get penalized for missing a class.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alleusion For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-04-2008)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
$25 a month doesn't sound too bad. Do they help you if you need it during the month?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-04-2008)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I think this is highway robbery. Some friends of mine take classes at an LYS in the next town, and this woman, whom everyone says is a wonderful and talented and very experienced teacher, charges each person $10 per lesson, which generally runs for 2 hours. They are usually month long classes, meeting once a week, so the entire class will be $40 plus materials which are $10 - 20, depending on the project. Asking for $300 to finish a project, and you have to buy the yarn from her?! An entire afghan's worth?! Think of the 10 - 20 great knitting books you could buy for that! If you can do a cable stitch (FREE videos on this site!) and bobbles, that's all you need to know. Ohhh, this really is getting my blood boiling. I personally would never do it, but if you have the money to spare and want to. . .
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brittyknits For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-04-2008)
Old 01-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
In defense of the teacher .... If you break it down to a hourly rate of $12.50, it's not that bad considering a lot of regular knitting lessons (at least those I've come across) are $10 per hour. And since this class is a more specialized/focused class, $2.50 bump is explained. With so much inflation going on, I don't think that $12.50 per hour is an unreasonable wage.

Notwithstanding, I personally would not enroll in the class because (in addition to the fact that the fee is exclusive) I would perceive it as another bill to pay; and I have enough bills already. Now, if money weren't an issue, would I still skip the class? Probably yes. Because I could take that same $25 to buy a book to learn the same techniques. And that's $25 ... period; not $25 per month.

Does the that fee include tea & crumpets or *something*?? Treats & stuff might make that $$$ pill a little easier to swallow.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ekgheiy For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-04-2008)
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
The prices vary somewhat at my LYS...I paid $60 for 5 two hour sock classes. They also have drop in time where you can pay $50 for 5 two hour sessions for knitting help regardless of what you are doing. There was another (now closed) LYS that charged much more. I don't see $25 a month as highway robbery if you are doing something you really want to do, can afford it AND can get help if you need it for free other times of the month if necessary. It may be more than some places, but if you want to do it go for it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Cristy (01-04-2008)