Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

What I want to learn this year :-)
Hi all,

I hope your new year is going well :-) Knitting resolutions are much more exciting than real life ones, and I strongly believe that it is important to rack up little victories for yourself to help you cope with the bigger challenges. Small successes, no matter how seemingly unimportant, reassure you in your own worth and ability. So -

Last year, I learned almost everything I know about knitting and crochet beyond the basics. I learned lace, double knitting, illusion knitting, yarn dyeing, circular knitting, double pointed needle knitting, cables, fair isle and other things I can't think of at the moment. I have some things I want to try this year though :

Pattern writing - I've made my own designs of things, and I would like to write them down and, in some cases, sell them, and in others, share them with the world for free. But I need to be able to write a comprehensible pattern that other people can follow.

Entrelac - it looks fascinating but I haven't had any patterns I'm really drawn to that have forced me to learn it, which is how I've been learning so far. I would like to learn it, just so I know how, and so I get a better understanding of what can be done with stitches :-)

Mosaic knitting - the same as entrelac, really - I'd just like to know how to do it and make some pretty things with it.

Clothes making - as a 'big' girl (read fat), the cost of yarn for projects bigger than a vest top is prohibitive, and I'm disabled so have very little income. I would like to be able to make my own clothes from materials so I can fit them to me properly, and then embellish with knit, crochet, and everything else I can do! Either this, or figure out a way to get cheap non-wool but decent yarn.

Set up my yarn shop online - I *love* dyeing yarn. I absolutely love it. I have a problem with giving it away, though - but again, since I'm disabled with little income, I need to fund my habit somehow. I want to be able to share my silks and cottons with the world, and hopefully make some money out of it too. The nice yarn lady I know locally says that I should sell it at high-end craft fairs as well, where people expect to pay quite a bit for it, because she likes it so much :-) But I don't want to fleece (pardon the pun) people either. So I'll probably be asking for you guys' advice on pricing.

Steeking - it's embarrassing how little I know about this, except that it involves cutting the yarn somewhere. So I want to know how to do it. Because I'm like that.

Intarsia - I've tried it, and I understand the principle, but I don't like it much. I want to like it.

So, these are the things I can think of - anyone got any tips on where to start or suggestions to add? What are your things you want to learn? :-)

Fi xxx

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Let's see...

I've got lace down pat, and I can felt booga bags with the best of them. I learned how to make socks last year, so that's another one down.

I want to learn to work with color. I've only made two dishcloths (the ballband ones) using two colors. For some reason, color work scares me.

I would also love to make something wearable...other than a hat or scarf.

I'm also going to try entrelec. Oh, and I would like to learn magic loop and how to knit with two circs.

So, once I finish with school next month, I'll have a lot more time to devote to this "to-do" list.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

I want to work on:

Felting

Crochet

Garments

along with: incorporating lace, and cables, and colorwork into the above.

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
boo1
Turning the Heel

mine:
Lace

Something wearable

Socks

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
bethany
Turning the Heel

cables, socks, felting (on purpose), mastering seaming, lacework are all big points of interest for me!

OTN: Old Shale Lace Triangle
OTH: blanket
FO: 3 pairs Pocketbook slippers, Kickline socks, baby cloths, 007 monkey, market bag, Ocean socks, chemo cap, 12 Stitch-It! blankets, 9 Charity Oddball baby blankets

: Bethanyg

bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Liz 14
Casting On

Entrelac and Mosaic are two things I am really going to get to grips with during the next month or so.Have just achieved a lovely Lace shawl for my Mother. For the entrelac I am going to make cushion covers in varying shades of fawn/orange and brown.
Liz 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned pretty well the basics of knit and crochet (other than the little I learned as a child) last year. This year I'm getting beyond them a bit. I'm working on a basic sweater and hope to do more simple wearables to get a sense of how they fit and are constructed. I'd like to learn continental knitting if I can. I can do the knit move, but the purl is hard for me. Maybe I can hole up for a few weeks and make dishcloths to get this down-pat.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
knitmama
Ribbing the Cuff

My goals for the year are:
1) Learn to knit socks (I've got all the supplies now I just need the guts )
2) Make a sweater.
3) Do more knitting and less reading about it.

OTN: Gail (aka Nightsongs), Basic Ribbed socks
FO: Dream in Color Shrug, Interlocking Leaves socks, Star-crossed Slouchy Beret

knitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitmama For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (01-07-2008)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
holamiis
1st Leg of the Journey

colorwork! knitting slightly faster than molasses in january.
And not giving up when frustrated.
holamiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
2sweetgirls38
Ribbing the Cuff

Hey gals! I'm a newbie, but have become so addicted to knitting.

This year I want to learn to make socks and hats and knit with a cable needle.

I am such a newbie and am still having trouble getting started with projects.
2sweetgirls38 is offline   Reply With Quote