Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Idea for swap?
Someone asked if it's too late to join the New Years Swap (it is) but Nobones mentioned that ideas for the next one might be appreciated.

Now I'm just thinkin here but lemme know what y'all think about this one. The Great Valentines Stitch Marker Swap!

I've only been on this board for a few months now, and before that I'd never seen a stitch marker before! Now I'm hooked, and a bunch of you guys are sooooooo talented! I thought it'd be fun for a bunch of us to swap stitch markers. And not the usual one for one name swap, but say if each person makes 20 stitch markers and has 4 people's names drawn, they'd send out 16 of their stitch markers (a set of 4 to each person) and then GET 4 separate SETS of stitch markers from 4 OTHER people. Does that sound cool? Sounds really cool in my head... Maybe that could be the one required thing and it'd be optional to do more, but I guess when it's for more than 1 person that could get kinda complicated...

Anyhoo, just throwing that out there. Oh, and I don't necessarily want to claim the "host" possition of this, I know there were a few people "next in line" so to speak, to do the hosting. If no one else wants to, I'd be glad to do so, but I don't want to cut the line =] I'm okay with participating in whatever someone cooks up!

OH and while I was going to sleep I thought of the BEST idea for an in-person holiday season gift swap! Sorta like PollyAnna? Everyone brings a gift and puts it into a pile, we pick numbers to determine order of picking a gift off the table. Each next person to go picks a gift and can decide to take it or swap it, and can swap with any gift that's already been opened. So, nobody really knows what they're going home with until the end of the game. LOTS of fun! There's usually a 5-10 dollar limit on those gifts. We could still do angels and pick the name of the one person we're going to bring the forreal gift packs for. It's a time for food and fun and conversation and lots and lots of gifts! If there's a bunch of us in the same area (same state or city even) that might be fun. But I guess it's always cheaper to fly packages across the country than fly ourselves, eh..?

Again, just throwing that out there for the NEXT holiday season. Heck, it doesn't even have to be HOLIDAY season. That's busy enough and crappy weather-- who says we can't celebrate and exchange knitting gifts in May or July!
a.shin.grace is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
angel4ever

I do like the idea of a stitch marker swap. Sounds great. I don't yet know how to make stitch markers, but I think this could work.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
bree
1st Leg of the Journey

I like the stitch marker swap too. There was a stitch marker swap on another blog, but I didn't join in time. The participants were able to select how many people they wanted to swap with. I guess it's up to the organizer(s) to decide how they want this swap to be run.

I have sssoooo many beads that could be made into potential markers. I think I'm more addicted to buying the beads, because I haven't really made many markers, lol. Ahhh.. I'm such a sucker for things on sale!
bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

It's pretty easy in theory, a bit more complex in practice! =] My hands are nimble but little pliers and little wire! tough to get it to do what you want hehe. It's a lot of fun though!

Plus, on the bright side, even if they don't work out too well as stitch markers, you could loop them onto hoops and make them earrings! xD
Old 01-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

I love making stitch markers and like this idea.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Karina
Working the Gusset

Hi
I would like to be pointed in the right direction of where to learn to make stitch markers. Thanks
Karina
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Stitch markers
I think this is a great idea, I was hoping we would have one but wasnt brave enough to be a host during the school year so I didn't say anything I don't think anyone would mind you being the hostess but good idea to through the idea out there first Anyway there is no rule set up by moderators saying one swap at a time so let there be many different swaps going that are hosted by many different people I would love to be a part of this however, I think we should all be required to only make 20 and I really wouldn't include the option to swap with more than 4 or 5 people because than it can get to confusing for the hostess and the swappers So I would set a standard set of rules for everyone to abide by makes for a less confusing and fun atmosphere for a stitch marker swap

some ideas:

-Like maybe must make 5 sets (20 stitch markers all together) 4 stitch markers to a set and include a card or note telling who they were from.

-Sets must match( like 4 of the same) because some people do not like them mismatched however I personally could care less

-deadlines in place like other swaps

-Also I dont think mailing something so small and light will be a money problem when shipping internationally so seems we wouldn't have a problem there.

I hope you don't mind my input...This swap sounds great I am so excited already!

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Samsam
Knitting the Flap

Good ideas knitpixie
Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Great suggestions!
The Following User Says Thank You to a.shin.grace For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (01-14-2008)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Is there anyone here who's good at making stitch markers and who is also willing to post up a brief, basic how-to picture tutorial? I think I got the basic concept, I just sort of reverse engineered it from pictures I saw up here.

Also, is there anyone that would like to take the reigns on this swap? My spring semester just started up so if there's someone who's been wanting to coordinate I'd be happy to step aside, but if no one does I would also happily lead this swap. I'd be glad to just be a participant or to coordinate, I love pretty stitchmarkers!