Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
Lisa_H-Town
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa_H-Town
I like the square idea, in that, it would be small areas to try something new... I have never done cables, and this would give me an opportunity to try them (or something else), without taking on a whole project... Not that I would be opposed to another item,,, but I am not that efficient of a knitter, or experienced....

Look forward to seeing what happens!!

Last edited by Lisa_H-Town : 01-15-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: plural
Lisa_H-Town is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa_H-Town For This Useful Post:
GiddyKnitter (01-15-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
GiddyKnitter
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to GiddyKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to GiddyKnitter
Count me in xx

OTN's
Socks for ME!!
February Ladies Sweater x 3
Knitted Kitties

Leahfaith on Ravelry
GiddyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
Catz
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Catz
Regardless on what pattern you can knit I think it'll be great to have a blanket made from the squares knitted up by those who've joined in.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Sounds like a great way to use my stash yarn--like the idea of making "blocks" to send. I would be great to have a "blanket" with other knitters work on it.
Count me in.

oneskein is all you need to knit happy
oneyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Sunny_Singer View Post
I love the idea of the afghan squares.

I would have to opt out of a sock swap as I haven't mastered dpns yet, nor magic loop.... I have frogged my husband's tie which won't show the ladders about 50 or more times now for I can't figure out why or how I start knitting one way, then reverse so my once knitted side is now purled and the purled side is suddenly knitted.
Hey Sunny, the same thing used to happen to me ALL the time..!! About not knowing if I was on a purl side or a knit side when I come back to my work after a day or so, or even after just a few minutes of playing with the cat!

Learning what the stitches "look like" and the anatomy of how that stitch is put together is a GREAT HELP, but kinda abstract and hard to understand before it all clicks, and believe me it did CLICK. Like, one day I'm all "this will NEVER MAKE SENSE AHHHHHHH" and then all of a sudden I SEE what I'm doing and it makes sense!

Anyhoo. In the meantime, I tried to pay extra attention to which side the tail thread was on from the cast on. Or, weave in to about 2 or 3 stitches on the bottom RIGHT corner (of the right or "correct" or "public" side) and that way I'd always know when the scrap of pink on my green scarf got to the right-hand side I was on the right side of the piece and if it went to the left-hand side I was on the wrong side of the piece.

Sorry if that seemed uber obvious but it took me a while to figure it out!

Oh, and magic look can look REALLLLY intimidating. But it's really not. SOOOOOO much better than DPNs I think. I'm using Silver's sock tutorial doing two toe up on one circular needle to kill two birds with one stone: learning socks, learning magic loop.
a.shin.grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
Sunny_Singer
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by gargoylelib View Post
And, for
what it's worth, if we did exchange afghan squares I'd be fine with
receiving a simple garter st or stockinette st square from those who
are still new to the craft.

Libbie
Yeah, that would be okay with me, too. If everyone used their own ideas of types of stitches, and patterns, it would add texture and interest to the completed afghans.

Sunny

I am one of the unlucky ones: I cannot view videos

OTN:

blanket for a man, scarf, poncho, 1 rug, baby blanket, finger puppet

2008 FO:

finger puppets: cat (2), dog, pig, frog, butterfly, bunny
Sunny_Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #17
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Ok, I figured out how to post a poll so if you are interested in this
swap go vote so we can decide what to swap!

Thanks...
Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

scarves would be nice ! simple or not; many choices.. felted purses too. I'm not into afghan squares

Last edited by Doodknitwit : 01-16-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: sp
Doodknitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Just taking this idea and running with it, lemme know what you think.

How bout taking the 12 squares and dividing it out over the span of a year, one square per month. Each month you send your square to a different person (meaning in for Jan you send to person A, for Feb you send to person B, and you might be getting a square from person G one month then one from person H the next, and so on).

Beginners can work on simple color squares, or simple textured squares, more advanced of us can do image work/more advanced techniques. Depending on how others feel, you could try to mix it up so everyone's final piece will have roughly equal amounts of "newbie squares" and "pro squares." Plus, that way say if one person's not so advanced and makes 12 single color square blocks and recieves 12 crazy intricate detailed work, well... I guess maybe the other way to do it might be to have separate catagories for beginner/advanced?

I dunno, but the 12 and 12 thing caught my eye. It'd be nice to have a themed knit-along-swap, and spread out like that we wouldn't have to make a huge committment with a close deadline, and instead one simple (or complex, depending on your skill level and schedule) afghan square per month which seems a lot less daunting, I think. Though, it would be a greater committment over a long period of time (meaning it would be stinky if a bunch of people dropped out after a few months leaving that same number of people with unfinished throws)...

I dunno, just a suggestion.

I still haven't decided whether or not I'd want to join, I guess it really depends on the final parameters and schedule... The semester just started up again so I don't know if I could commit to anything that large unless it was relatively spread out over a bit of time.
a.shin.grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM   #20
Lisa_H-Town
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa_H-Town
a.shin.grace.
wow... that sounds like a cool way to approach it... I had expressed curiosity on how it could work in the "Poll" thread ... not sure if you have been to that one yet...

and the timetable would give "newbies" a chance to move "up" from that ... And it would split up the mailing costs. And still allow time to work on other projects....

Unfortunately a very valid concern in the "commitment" factor... But I thought it was a well thought process, if the "right" people were involved...

Side note: not sure how many go to crochetville (I know there are some of you out there), any way... they have a "Hall of Shame" and they keep track when people don't fulfill swap obligations.. and they are forbidden from future swaps until they perform restitution... They one thing I don't like about their "swap rules", is you have to be a member for so long with so many posts... I have been here at KH for almost a year and have half the posts of some people that have only been a member for a few months... I am just pretty shy... PLEASE NOTE: I am not suggesting such a thing here, just thought of it becuz of the topic.

Lisa_H-Town is offline   Reply With Quote