Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
photolady

Originally Posted by charliepw View Post
Hello
i am a newbie to knitting
(well i learnt ages ago but never really took it anywhere and this christmas my mum taught me again)
so i'm interested in knitting hats.
I just knitted the freebee 'apple hat' pattern

Charlie
Where's this freebie pattern?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by dakatzmeow View Post
if you get knitpicks classic circs, which are available individually, you will not regret it. i suggest starting out with 1 or 2 sizes you think you'll use a lot. for me, a 4 and a 7 would be ideal. it all depends on your personal knitting style/gauge.
Thanks for the recommendation! So far I have a set of 8 and 9 needles and I was thinking about getting the circ in either a 7 or 8.

I don't have much of a knitting style yet, but I do have a tote full of yarn that has a recommended needle size of 8, so I think I'll stay close to that gauge while I build up my skills.

I'm trying to resist buying any new yarn for a little while (I hear that once that first batch of yarn comes, there's no turning back -- my budget isn't ready for that! ) and I think if I order from KnitPicks now, I'll end up ordering some yarn in order to get the free shipping! I'm not ready to take that plunge!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The 29" would be good to start on. They're not so long to be cumbersome for knitting scarves (you can use them like straights too), they'd be about right for sweaters, good for shawls or afghans. And long enough you can use the magic looop technique to make hats with.

Cool! Thanks!

(The magic loop technique intrigues me and I definitely want to check it out.)
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Got My Circulars!
I took a coupon to Michael's last weekend and I bought a set of #8 29-inch circular bamboo needles. The straight bamboos I have are #8 and I had already started a project on them, so after much internal debate I decided to stick with that size. (Besides, all the yarn in my stash is the same brand/type and all recommend #8 on the label.)

I transferred my work over to the circular needles last night (starting with the fourth row) and I really love working with them. It isn't that much different than using straights, yet somehow it is so much better!

Here is a picture of my work so far.

(The three balls used to be different sizes and I wanted a picture of them all together. The largest is being re-rolled into a center pull ball, the second largest is being used for my WIP and the smallest one is just sitting there for reference. )

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement. I can see why some people use circular needles exclusively and I have a feeling I'm going to become one of them.